Why is Outworld Destroyer not a competetive pick?

Discussion in 'DotA Chat' started by RoseEsque, Sep 18, 2012.

1. RoseEsque

RoseEsque Well-Known Member

Why? He is very good against the current meta:
    Kills illusions
    Works against mana burn

2. kit333

kit333 Well-Known Member

Re: Why is Outworld Destroyer not a competetive pi

Underwhelming ultimate with single target spells and squishy as fuck

3. RoseEsque

RoseEsque Well-Known Member

He is squishy, true.

But his passive provides basically infinite mana to the whole team?
    He gets pure damage and has a devastating lategame ultimate. It is kinda lackluster earlygame, but then You can skip it and max his other abilities first.

4. zeraeign

zeraeign Well-Known Member

IDK about the competitive games you guys are seeing but in my local town's competitive dota gaming, OD is quite a scary pick.

5. toness17

toness17 Well-Known Member

I guess the pro's prefer other carries like AM or Morphling with good escape and are more reliable than OD. Nothing against OD but there are better carries to choose from but nothing against him, I would really love to see an OD in competetive play because he is probably my favourite carry hero.

6. itsmee

itsmee Well-Known Member

one of the best pubstompers out there, but hard to win with in competitive. The reason is that almost all the carriers in competitive have some sort of escape mechanism, when he is very lacking in that department. Also, agility heroes end up with high armor which is another source of survivability he also lacks.

7. CynthiaCrescent

CynthiaCrescent Well-Known Member

Being squishy is one thing, being squishy without innate mobility is another, not to mention that extremely awkward range.

8. DrB88

DrB88 Well-Known Member

Glass cannon. Paper early game and screams "Gank me!". Else he is fine.

9. Acanthus

Acanthus Well-Known Member

Cause once the enemy antimage/morph gets a BKB there's nothing obsidian can do but feed

10. permafrosty

permafrosty Well-Known Member

Disregarding items, he has:
    -No chasing ability (no way to slow or stun the enemy to land those arcane orbs)
    -no escape ability
    -extremely item dependent

I think one main problem is that he is extremely item dependent. Moreover those items are all int items, which hardly boost his survivability in any way (no hp from str, nor armor from agi). Also, i do believe that he farms slower than other regular carries.

And he isnt as useful as other carries early game in killing heroes; the most he can do is orb someone.
    He might be quite good in a push strat, though the popularity of arcane boots kinda reduces that advantage.

11. Theexe2

Theexe2 Well-Known Member

He is one of the most noob friendly heros in the game. He takes next to no skill to use, the only thing that makes him seem not noob is that instead of dmg items u get int items.

12. Radioh

Radioh Well-Known Member

bkb

13. Trogdolyte

Trogdolyte Well-Known Member

becoz snipper pwn OD in lane fase

14. sunnymarcell

sunnymarcell Banned

a hard-carry totally countered by BKB?
    icefrog pls.

also he is not immortal unlike the current hard-carries in competitive.

15. ShowThemHell

ShowThemHell Banned

Because of magic immunity rapes him badly.

16. Xmarksthegank

Xmarksthegank Well-Known Member

Because his damage sucks against towers.

17. jyzzy

jyzzy Well-Known Member

BKB against him is overrated. Orchid, even if more situational, is much more scarier.

18. Typhox

Typhox Well-Known Member

lol you never played him, did you?
    OD is one of the heroes with the lowest winrate (43%) and lowest tier/number of matches (rank >#70) in pub games.
    Your statement can't be true.

Also this.
    But I noticed most competetive players don't really know how to play him properly which makes me sad everytime I see him being played.

19. SirIsaacNewton

SirIsaacNewton Well-Known Member

No survivability
    No AS items that can work for him
    No mobility
    One dimensional - doesn't offer anything to the team besides right click.

Basically, he needs 500 range (+50) and 310-315 ms to be considered a viable pick.

20. Alidfe

Alidfe Well-Known Member

Every skill he has other than his orb is utility though (Well, it depends for his Ult I guess ).

OT: It's a number of things.

-His utility is rendered largely meaningless by the prevalence of powerful early game regen items. No one cares about Essence Aura when everyone on your team has AB and SR anyways. Unless your name is like, Boush. The same can be said to a lesser extent for the damageless variation on his ult.

-He's heavily reliant on his orb for damage. Massively so. This puts him in an awkward spot where he's a right click carry who's also countered by the same shit that counters mages, in addition to still being vulnerable to traditional anti carry crap.

-He's short ranged. On his everything. This is problematic because AI and SE are both best use as pre-initiation, which he can't risk because of his range. His AAs are stubby too

-He has basically no innate tankiness and no escapes. All he can do when pressured is AI, run away, and pray.

-Awkward itemization. He wants Mana/Int and AS as his favored stats offensively. Plus he needs to cover his poor survivability. There really arent many options that provide both. This generally makes him especially item dependent since there's no one big item to cover his needs, he'll need to get two or three to cover his bases.

The real nail in the coffin though? For all that. A short range, squishy, ultra farm dependent, redundant utility, immobile, ultra disableable carry... You'd expect him to carry hard as fuck when the stars actually aligned and you got everything you needed for him covered, right? I mean surely someone with that many obstacles to overcome and hoops to jump through must be godlike when he comes online, right?

No. Not really. He still gets outcarried by all the more standard picks.