Why do pudge players always build a hood?

Discussion in 'Game Strategy' started by Marverni, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Marverni

Marverni Well-Known Member

He already has so much HP and magic resistance. Why build more?

I get why aura items like pipe make sense on him. He's a melee guy who stands in the fight for a long time. But pipe itself seems like a bad choice. His statistical weaknesses are armor and move speed, so shouldn't you build things like mek and drums to deal with that, and let some other support get a pipe?
  2. aestropher

aestropher Well-Known Member

It reduces self damage from rot; plus the regen is nice too for his big hp.
  3. CynthiaCrescent

CynthiaCrescent Well-Known Member

I never build Hood on Pudge, always either Vanguard or a fast Chainmail.
    Hood, however, has a natural upgrade in Pipe, so that's also attractive, but I can't think of any more particular reasons. Perhaps some math would help clear the confusion.
  4. Lucre2808

Lucre2808 Well-Known Member

Hood on Pudge is not a good idea.
    Flesh Heap can reduce the self-damage from Rot.
    Vanguard would be better on Pudge, increases his tanking ability and spam Rot comfortably.
  5. badmafa

badmafa Banned

You should prioritize. Armor is a much bigger problem for Pudge to overcome than magic resistance.
  6. SirIsaacNewton

SirIsaacNewton Well-Known Member

you can always go both vang and hood.
    Vang first is almost always better though.

With the introduction of tranquil, i'm not even sure if you need vang anymore.
    Just stout + tranquil + pointbooster and then maybe some armor item like plate.
  7. CynthiaCrescent

CynthiaCrescent Well-Known Member

Going both Van and Hood is like begging the opponent to ignore you after they interrupt Dismember.
  8. TaxmanD

TaxmanD Well-Known Member

Cause hood is awesome, only noobs use vanguard, hood + vit boost (heart upgrade later), in pudge case, I'd go hood, point booster ogre axe (for aghanim later). Vanguard is gay, just like lothar and battlefury, noobs love getting useless items.
  9. bluedagger

bluedagger Well-Known Member

resist from flesh heap stacks with it, you get nat big hp pool from kills so the resist gives more and more ehp the whole game through so you get hood for the resist that scales, regen and pipe and so on. if you are against mostly phys dps dont get it though
  10. badmafa

badmafa Banned

Sounds like a pro.
  11. ShinImagine

ShinImagine Well-Known Member

there is nothing wrong asking for more magic resistance if if you have more, for me i max hook and rot early and at that point i do not have high levels of flesh heap. might as well build hood to negate the the damage from rot and spells from my point of view.
  12. brengxex

brengxex Well-Known Member

He is a pro. Look, he creates that account only to troll you.

OT : i usually go straight to point booster and vangu instead of hood. But pipe still seems nice to have vs a lot of nuker
  13. JX_Blue

JX_Blue Well-Known Member

It varies from game to game of course. If the enemy team is like Enigma ES Sand King Lesh Zeus get a damn pipe. If the enemy team is Riki Dazzle VS TA Viper then get Platemail + Vang. Really, it's not that hard.
  14. zeraeign

zeraeign Well-Known Member

IDK but he can be a good tank.
  15. SanKakU

SanKakU Well-Known Member

i don't.

and yeah, armor is nice on pudge and players typically lose against me when they fail to buy that.
  16. bloodchowz

bloodchowz Banned

ever seen dendi's pudge with pipe? so dendi's is a noob?
  17. Blarrg

Blarrg Well-Known Member

Because Pipe is good.

I always get force staff.

Then go into either Blademail or Ags.
  18. Amples

Amples Well-Known Member

I often find myself not building either Hood or Vanguard. I pick my targets carefully, so Tranq+Bottle+Stick does it for me, as well as a Point Booster and Force Staff as extension. Aghanim's/Heart/utility items as a luxury.

Building Hood to extend into Pipe is another story, though.
  19. Erios

Erios Well-Known Member

If it is just Hood cause they are complete noobs, he is the most popular hero in dota 2 and is not so played in high level games, guess what that means....
  20. Fixthemix

Fixthemix Well-Known Member

It lets you farm incredibly easy and fast with rot, and if you stack a camp here and there when you pass through, you can get alot of additional gold this way. It's also important to kill off lanes quickly with pudge, so you can get back into fog of war, and preferably not lose half your life doing so.

I don't build Hood on him unless there's at least 3-4 heroes in the enemy team with heavy magic damage, but that seems to occur alot, perhaps because I like picking Pudge against squishy casters.

Pudge is also a hero who gets stronger (through Flesh Heap) as the game goes on, meaning he will have quite a health pool. And since Magic Resistance, much like armor, makes every health point better, Hood has great synergy here.

So yeah. I'm keeping my Hood.