[Other] What are some good books to learnng....*

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Wrooks, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Wrooks

Wrooks Well-Known Member

I'm trying to learn three things.

How to code/use linux

website security
    and
    web applications attachedd to a phone.

For example one of my clients have a web business and they want to scan their merchandise with their phone to add it to the website.

2. iser

iser Well-Known Member

what's your skill level at the moment? i just started studying code in june.

3. Wrooks

Wrooks Well-Known Member

I know html, css,

I am trying to learn jquery and php atm

I know enough of programming to know what a loop is and an if/then else statement.

I coded some stuff in JASS but have since forgotten how to write in that language

4. iser

iser Well-Known Member

html/css/jquery have pretty much nothing to do with creating a bar code scanner mobile app that is tied with the currently existing inventory management system. you'll have to learn to actually code first.

i'm recommending javascript to start off because it is a language that is used very often, and no matter what you do, you will run eventually run into js. also, you can build almost anything with only javascript by using node.js and ionic. python is also great btw. that's next on my list to really learn.

- start off with FreeCodeCamp (https://www.freecodecamp.com/). finish the front-end module, and especially focus on the javascript algorithms. once you finish those, then you will be ready to actually start learning. for you to set the benchmark, it took me exactly 14 days to finish most of them (https://www.freecodecamp.com/iserbit).

- solve every exercise in the first 6 chapters of Eloquent Javascript (http://eloquentjavascript.net/).

- start solving Project Euler (http://projecteuler.net/). i just started on this one, and i've been recommended that solving the first 50 problems is a good starting point.

- sign up for EDX CS50 (https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x). you will be learning C and actual computer science concepts.

- the best way for you to become familiar with linux is to actually use linux as your daily os. i recommend ubuntu though i personally use kde neon.

- if installing linux is not an option for you, start using c9.io. it is by far the most beginner friendly IDE, with a great introduction to linux development environment. i love c9 so much that i use it as my main development server for my freelance web design work.

- if you are looking for a code editor, use any of the following: sublime text, vscode, or atom. i use vscode.

once you become comfortable with the above, then you are finally ready to START learning. the above steps are prerequisites for even starting to learn what programming is. this is the point i am at. after the above tasks, i feel like i'm ready to finally start studying for real.

after the above, you can start looking at node.js for your backend, react/angular for your frontend, and ionic for your mobile framework.

btw, i learned everything above in about a month and a half, and i had not really coded anything before except html/css like you. if you need help with anything, or want to ask me any questions, let me know.

anyway, start off with FCC.

5. Wrooks

Wrooks Well-Known Member

I took up your offer and started a codefree account...im already on javascript but even though im passing the lessons i think i might need to replay it to remember it.

6. iser

iser Well-Known Member

i would say push it through until the algorithms because a lot of it builds on itself. algorithms will be where you will be utilizing everything you have learned upto that point, and without proper understanding of arrays, objects, methods, loops, conditions and such, you won't be able to get through the algorithms. at that point, i would suggest going back to brush up on whatever you are not fully understanding.

also, try your best to solve them without looking at the answer. you can google something like "js string sort" but try to limit it to just that. i spent 8 hours straight solving an API problem involving an asynchronous function (callback), and the thrill i got from solving that was pretty awesome. and because i spent 8 hours learning everything i possibly can about it, i became very comfortable with them real quick.

also, yesterday and the day before, i spent about 12 hours spread over 2 days solving what seemed like such a simple algorithm. but it felt good once i solved it (also made me feel retarded at the same time).

// Write a function, `nearest_larger(arr, i)` which takes an array and an
    // index. The function should return another index, `j`: this should
    // satisfy:
    //
    // (a) `arr < arr[j]`, AND
    // (b) there is no `j2` closer to `i` than `j` where `arr < arr[j2]`.
    //
    // In case of ties (see example below), choose the earliest (left-most)
    // of the two indices. If no number in `arr` is larger than `arr`,
    // return `nil`.
    //
    nearest_larger([2,6,4,8], 2); // == 1
    nearest_larger([2,3,4,8], 2); // == 3
    nearest_larger([2,6,4,6], 2); // == 1
    nearest_larger([2,8,4,3], 2); // == 1
    nearest_larger([8,2,4,3], 2); // == 0
    nearest_larger([2,4,3,8], 1); // == 3
    nearest_larger([2,6,4,8], 3); // == nil
    nearest_larger([2,6,9,4,8], 3); // == 2

btw, that is a sample problem for a coding bootcamp application (app academy). the actual interview question was a lot easier, but even for getting into those coding camps require basic understanding of programming. i made it to the final interview that's in 10 days. we'll see if i get in or not. their acceptance rate is lower than MIT (but that's bc they get more applicants than MIT).

i'm not sure if i'll actually attend it or not, but i just want to be able to say i got into app academy.

anyway, just contact me over PD or steam if you need help with anything. i'm on steam whenever my computer is on.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  7. Eli_Green

Eli_Green Well-Known Member

>javascript

disgusting

8. iser

iser Well-Known Member

nah. doesn't really matter which language you learn. what's important is that you understand the concepts, and that transfers across languages. wrooks is already somewhat familiar with some web development process, so why not start with js which he can apply right away. ruby? you have to learn rails and the mvc structure even before you can see any result. python? he's not really focused on the academics. also, he will be able to easily transition into java later for mobile and enterprise apps. srsly, when you are just starting out, who cares what language you start off with. it's like debating about bmw vs mercedes when you are still riding a bicycle.

9. FightFightFight

FightFightFight Well-Known Member

PHP has decent official documentation. If you already familiar with JASS, you will not need books to start

10. Eli_Green

Eli_Green Well-Known Member

True as that may be it doesn't make the language any less abysmal. For basics yeah it's fine and as you say it really doesn't matter. But it's more than a little annoying once you move past that/are trying to learn how it works under the hood.