[Visual] Black Hole, Swirling/Orbiting!

Discussion in 'Visuals' started by KuroNeko, Jan 3, 2012.

1. KuroNeko

KuroNeko Moderator

Saw this thread; Senyu suggested a black hole-esque ability for DotA 2 that would suck in heroes swirl them around, and <do some other stuff>.

I thought it might be cool to throw this orbiting/swirling effect into Enigma's current oldschool Black Hole, if not just for the visual.

Currently, it simply sucks in enemy units towards the center and deals damage. Sure, that black orb is impressive and being disabled for 4 sec is no fun, but honestly an ability this powerful could use a little bit more eye candy don't you think? Like an echo slam. More pizzazz. It should at least make me believe that it's a black hole. Currently it just moves you slightly closer and damages you with sparklies.**

Anyway, enemies affected by Black Hole slowly orbit based on their distance from the center. A unit at the edge might make a quarter revolution in the 4 sec, while a unit near the center might make around a full revolution. Units orbiting the black hole would probably move somewhere between 150-200ms. CREEPS WILL BE MOVED TO AVOID CLICKING PROBLEMS.

-synergy with mana leak, rupture? o_o
    -makes more sense than simply inching toward the center and taking damage; that black ball looks cool and all but really THAT'S what's dealing dps and disabling me for 4 sec?
    -disorients enemy team
    -enjoyable to look at
    -overall cool/awesome

-affects balance since it moves stuff more
    -people may not like their targets moving even though they're moving slowly >,>

**if someone could suggest a better visual for the dps that'd be great too. Sparklies are already used by radiance and seriously why is a black hole sparkling -.-;
  2. AKBu3nY

AKBu3nY Well-Known Member

Can't judge without testmap. *Starts World Editor*

E: Don't know how much it would affect gameplay. T-null.

Le testmap.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  3. Hemoxyte

Hemoxyte Well-Known Member

No more instagibbing people with nevermore and black hole? :x

Edit: the visual is ok.... doesn't really have the swirling effect thing (prokatdn testmap on my suggestion fits more imo) but the idea is more of a remake imo.
  4. E02K

E02K Well-Known Member

pic or it didnt happen
  5. Hemoxyte

Wouldn't matter if there's a pic... you won't see the effect in action when it's freezed.
  6. KuroNeko

KuroNeko Moderator

People are still pulled toward the center at the same speed as before. Except now, they also swirl around. But if you compare Current black hole with my Suggested version side-by-side, you'd honestly see that each one sucks heroes in at the same speed, the only difference being that mine makes them swirl around and stuff.

It will in no way affect its current synergy with AoE.
  7. Sven2k

Sven2k Moderator

Here's a vid of the testmap :3

Also shouldn't this be in remakes because this can effect gameplay.
  8. Hemoxyte

If you have played dota imba before the black hole visual there fits the swirling effect much better imo.
  9. AKBu3nY

^But it's too big and not transparent. Means you can't see the units under it (or only the half unit)
  10. Hemoxyte

True, but i'm just saying it fits this idea more.
  11. KuroNeko

KuroNeko Moderator

Thank you AK3BnY + Sven2k, that's exactly what I envisioned :D

^watch that video guys
  12. BrunoPower

BrunoPower Well-Known Member

it does really look good
  13. Sven2k

Sven2k Moderator

add them to the OP :3
  14. Monsterlord

Monsterlord Banned

It's good, and I personally would say the gameplay effects are so minor that this can remain in Visuals.

However, if a purely visual suggestion is needed, would it be possible to have some swirling effects instead?

Awesome. t-up!

it's like DotA imba's Jugg's spiN!
  16. Sven2k

Sven2k Moderator

Which is totally gay and imbalanced >_>
  17. softeas

softeas Well-Known Member

Sofa on 18th floor

Its kinda, imba but its nice... T-null
  18. AKBu3nY

Re: Sofa on 18th floor

Its gameplay impact is negligable..
  19. D' Eradicated

D' Eradicated Well-Known Member

T-Up... Looks awesome like a real Black Hole...
  20. Hemoxyte

been to one? How do you even know that you actually get spinned before being sucked in.