Viper in Drow lineups

Discussion in 'Game Strategy' started by Devius, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Devius

Devius Well-Known Member

Over and over again, I see Viper being picked in Drow-focused lineup, mainly as a mid hero (safe-lane drow, some tanky melee like Slardar offlane, wisp/venge/dazzle etc support). Every game I see, Viper maxes Nethertoxin first or second. What is the thinking behind this build?

2. Lama051

Lama051 Moderator

Nethertoxin is scaling with missing HP of your enemies, drow gives you quite a lot of damage so you get to stronger bonuses from nethertoxin faster.

3. IHateLeavers

IHateLeavers Well-Known Member

Traxex aura doesnt work when shes dead and become very weak whenever enemy hero stands near her, so you gotta keep that in mind when forming your lineup. Not to mention that shes total trash in lane and can be easily destroyed by most heroes if you decide to play agro 3 lane or 2 + roamer.

4. Devius

Devius Well-Known Member

Early-game respawn is really quick, so no matter what happens aura will be on most of the time. Furthermore, Drow does not actually die a lot in pro games when she's picked.

5. callme

callme Well-Known Member

This has been a viable strategy for awhile Drow+Viper+VS / Viper+Dazzle+Luna / Dusa+Drow+VS etc.

Drow+Viper+VS+Warlock+Brewmaster is probably the best rendition of that strategy in the current patch imo. Mid game power house, that falls off later.

6. Kris

Kris Moderator

Builds Mek/Aghs and sieges really well. Almost auto-wins his lane 1:1 which can bail out pressure on your Drow by forcing them to press your Viper.

7. Blamagenkind

Blamagenkind Well-Known Member

But isn't nethertoxin the first maxed anyway no matter the lineup, or is it just me? Anyway, I think that the main reason he is usually paired with Drow is the kiting potential with the slows from 3 of his skills. Viper strike's ASPD slow is also very good against blinkers.

8. GhostHardware

GhostHardware Well-Known Member

Translation: Don't count on precision aura because my/your drow is total trash.

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

Viper is one of those heroes that has a very flexible skill build. It really just depends.

9. Devius

Devius Well-Known Member

Did you only read the thread topic? I understand why Viper is good when paired with Drow, the question is why pros max Nethertoxin in almost all games.

If Viper's lineup has heroes with stuns and nukes, health bars of enemies go yellow is seconds, and Viper with Nethertoxin can finish them in few hits. But most of Drow lineups don't have many nukes, they aim for sustain and strong ranged attacks. Viper acts as a durable front-liner, "zoner", he should benefit more from control given by Poison Attack. But pros often have 1 or 2 points in it by the end of the game.

10. SBVenom

SBVenom Well-Known Member

Nethertoxin doesn't cost mana and synergizes with the aura. The more physical damage viper deal the more nethertoxin damage he deal. Lets viper win the lane more easily = better mid/late game.

Also forces supports off the offlane to deal with viper = easier time for drow to get the level 6.

If drow gets a good lane then it should be a pretty easy 20 min rax.

11. FightFightFight

FightFightFight Well-Known Member

Neither does corrosive skin, and it gives better teamfight power in conjunction with Mek. Maybe they maxed Nethertoxin because they wanted to add more physical dmg into their mass -armor team? because it's his only skill that deals physical dmg.

12. Kris

Kris Moderator

It's the best laning tool you have, gives you good teamfight damage, scales way better than his other skills, and takes buildings.

Poison attack is only needed as a 1-2 point in lane and corrosive skin is only really needed as a 1 point in some lanes.

Not even close. Being able to kill the other teams supports is way more important than soaking an extra 100-300 magic damage.

13. duble_dragon

duble_dragon Well-Known Member

The difference is you have more control with applying nethertoxin, whereas corrosive skin is hardly offensive at all.

14. callme

callme Well-Known Member

Because becoming a ranged ursa against a half hp enemy is fun? I have been saying max nether first for a long time now. Now, when people catch on to going (RoA+headress+power treads+hood+Aghs)->Pipe->Butterfly the evolution will be complete.

15. FightFightFight

FightFightFight Well-Known Member

Corrosive Skin is not only magic resistance, it's half Radience magic DPS, which is quite effective if he can affect multiple enemies and survive long enough. Nether Toxin only has wide window of effectiveness if target have high HP/armor ratio, so mostly against Strength heroes/buildings or with armor reduction spells.

you guys say "max Nether toxin helps win lane", "draw attention of enemy supports so Drow have freefarm", but this also means he will die from these supports because he is so slow and Corrosive Skin is his only defence tool...

16. MicrowaveWalrus

MicrowaveWalrus Well-Known Member

Viper really needs damage, and drow provides that.