Turning Speed

Discussion in 'Advanced Mechanics' started by doomsheep, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doomsheep

doomsheep Well-Known Member

what's nevermore's turning speed? does it vary from hero to hero?
  2. Lordshinjo

Lordshinjo Well-Known Member

Nevermore's turn rate is 1, which I'm guessing is 1 turn per second.
    Most Heroes' turn rates vary from 0.4 to 0.6, with some exceptions (Nevermore has 1, N'aix has 2.1, and Lanaya has 0.7).
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  3. 3DM@rk

3DM@rk Well-Known Member

Turn rate 1 means that the unit can turn by 1 radian every 0.03 seconds. 1 radian is about 57.3°.
  4. kzm100138

kzm100138 Well-Known Member

Really? I doubt it a bit. Because base on what u wrote, I hero with turning rate 1 can turning around (180°) within 0.092s. Which is toooo fast.

It should be "can turn by 0.03 radian every 1 second" maybe, am i right or wrong?
  5. Cáno

Cáno Well-Known Member

6. Brzelius

Brzelius Well-Known Member

Then you would need 105 seconds to turn 180 degrees :D
  7. jrhetf4xb

jrhetf4xb Well-Known Member

It should be time needed to make a 180 degrees turn.
  8. kzm100138

Y, i made a big mistake :no:

And another Turning Speed related question, a unit can only attack or cast a spell of targeting type when it fully face the target (exactly turn to it)?
  9. Cáno

Cáno Well-Known Member

The target has to be within the Propulsion Window which is 120 degrees in most cases.
  10. kyofigaro

kyofigaro Well-Known Member

the turning speed of the model has nothing to do with the turn rate
  11. kzm100138

Big thanks ^^ i get it
  12. mDREAMm

mDREAMm Well-Known Member

If 120 degrees is the medium,what are the extreme points of the Propulsion Window?Which spells can be connected with these extreme Propulsion window points?
  13. Lordshinjo

Lordshinjo Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand what your question is, but the Propulsion Window is Hero-specific, not spell-specific.
    Most Heroes have a 120° or 122° Window, except Leviathan (60°)
  14. 3DM@rk

3DM@rk Well-Known Member

I've done a few tests with some very interesting results.

I measured the facing angle of a turning unit in 0.001 sec. intervals. I used 4 different values of Turn Rate (0.1, 0.3, 0.5 and 1.0) and put the results in a graph:

Note that although the curves in the graph are continuous, facing angle updates only every 0.03 seconds.

The speed isn't constant, but rather slowly raises and then drops to make the turn more smooth. The second graph shows how angular speed depends on time (basically, it's the numerical derivative of the values in the first graph):

A few interesting facts to note:
    • Turn Rate values from about 0.5 above result in virtually the same unit movement (the curves for TR 0.5 and TR 1.0 overlap)
    • angular speed is capped at 6 rad/s, which corresponds to 0.18 radians per 0.03 seconds
    • for Turn Rates lower than 0.18, the facing angle change per 0.03 sec. peaks at the value of the Turn Rate rather than at 0.18 (in the second graph, angular speed for TR=0.1 approaches 3.33 rad/s, which corresponds to 0.1 radians per 0.03 seconds)

To add on to my first post in this thread, the facing angle can indeed change by at most Turn Rate radians per 0.03 seconds, but the cap is 0.18 and the change is not constant.
  15. BorisPeace-

BorisPeace- Well-Known Member

So N'aix having 2.1 turn rate doesn't mean anything as it is way above the threshold?
  16. Cáno

Cáno Well-Known Member

Try to do the thinking part on your own.

I had lots of trouble with turning speed, it was all caused by the limit which I was not aware of. Nice work, 3DM@rk.
    Seems that for higher turning rates the unit would have to be turned with SetUnitFacing().
  17. 3DM@rk

3DM@rk Well-Known Member

Yes, the only case when this might be relevant is under the effect of Sticky Napalm, when Naix will have a Turn Rate of 0.63 (no measurable change in speed), while a hero with default Turn Rate 0.4 will have 0.12, which can be a limiting factor when trying to maneuver.
  18. Sh1LLa

Sh1LLa New Member

is there a table where u can look up every heroes' turn rate?
    in a game i just finished i was warlock up against a bat rider which is soooo annoying. so i wondered a bit about turn rates and stumbled upon this ;D
  19. petmaloo

petmaloo Well-Known Member

Batrider's SN lowers MS and turnrate, that's probably why you are soo annoyed XD
  20. Sh1LLa

Sh1LLa New Member

yes, obv. still wondering whether there's a complete table of all heroes' turnspeeds in dota
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.