Tribes: Ascend (10 years, finally!)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Khaar, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Khaar

Khaar Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone has picked up this (madly unforgiving) game. Played a lot of Tribes 2 way back and didn't even know this was in development until recently.

Just watching the gameplay videos brings back so much nostalgia...

To those interested: You can play Tribes 2 for free now. Be warned though: it is probably one of the hardest multiplayer fps you will ever play. Which makes it so rewarding.

2. jamaca

jamaca Well-Known Member

at first i was like, this looks like halo. but then i remembered tribes. xD

3. Khaar

Khaar Well-Known Member

I've seen so many people compare it to Halo. Nobody seem to realize that Tribas actually came out before Halo however.

4. Domenico

Domenico Moderator

Tribes 2 was one of the most awesome multiplayer FPS ever. Before Tribes FPS used to be considered the most stupid no-brainer genre for tards. When this one popped up, it became clear how multi-layered and complex FPS can be.

Though Tribes2 never was popular, Tribes: Vengeance was a game noone gave a single damn like at all, and now...

IIRC, Ascend will be F2P, and thus I... Don't expect it to be any good (dunno why). Time will show what is what though...

5. Khaar

Khaar Well-Known Member

^I totally agree. I actually reinstalled Tribes 2 today after I wrote this, though the community seem to have died off a bit. Will try later when some North American players are online but my hope is dwindling...

6. Domenico

Domenico Moderator

^ Well, it seems it was hopeless even like 7 years ago. By that time it was already hard to find someone who at least knows the game. I was trying to find someone to play with. Before, around 2002, I had no proper internet connection and with just bots it wasn't that game (they had no idea how to use vechicles, also always primitive waypoints, no warding, no ECM etc.). However they were good enough in straight combat, top tier bots were mocking me, while I was doing relatively good against 2nd tier bots only with the most primitive build aka "basic deathmatch" (scout: spinfusor + chaingun + blaster/nadelauncher).

So meh. Btw, it's funny enough that it was the first game that introduced warding to me :lol:

7. Khaar

Khaar Well-Known Member

Hah, doesn't that make you feel old: "I remember when broadband was exclusive and barely any internet games beyond Counterstrike existed..."

My hopes were not in vain however as I just now successfully played several games! Some North Americans still play as I suspected. Gives me 150 - 200 ping but hell, it's worth it. As expected though I got my ass soundly handed to me all night since my skill is terrible. With that ping and my non existent Shrike skill (seem to have faded to oblivion after all these years, who would have thought?) I don't think I got a single hit while flying with that lovely vehicle. I know this game is hard, but I am still surprised how challenging it is and I cannot remember the last time I was so excited for any game! You should reinstall it too :)

Ah well, even with all these circumstances I am happy to play heavy and just place turrets, repairing and firing my lovely mortar. Ah, the nostalgia honestly makes me miss the good ol' days...

8. Domenico

Domenico Moderator

:shock:
    People still play the game?

Gotta find where did I put it...

9. Khaar

Khaar Well-Known Member

10. hideinlight

hideinlight Well-Known Member

Tribes: Ascend finally a worthy FPS!

Loving it, you can get a beta key by liking it on Facebook. It's extremely fast paced and fun. It's just insane chasing someone at such high speeds a few 100 meters in the air.

11. Sven2k

Sven2k Moderator

Re: Tribes: Ascend finally a worthy FPS!

link please :D

nvm found it

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  12. tech-ladan

tech-ladan Well-Known Member

link or didn't happen!

13. HoFfNiGgA

HoFfNiGgA Well-Known Member

It feels...
    Just... Clunky. Maybe it's just cause I just tried it or my comp might not be able to handle it but it just feels so... Sluggishly fast.

14. Sven2k

Sven2k Moderator

15. hideinlight

hideinlight Well-Known Member

Smooth sliding and aiming for me with good frames per second. Only thing holding me back is my latency...

Frag movie, game obviously runs fine for this dude.
    [YOUTUBE]vQL9R_SchKs[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  16. PunKZ

PunKZ Well-Known Member

Looks awesome from the youtube video.

Gonna try it.

17. Sajuuk

Sajuuk Well-Known Member

Wow...I REMEMBER THIS

18. -Hominghead

-Hominghead Banned

Tribes Ascend is pretty fun. Its fast its fun. Tribes Ascend is awesome. Its fast its fun.

19. BiH-Kira

BiH-Kira Well-Known Member

It's the best FPS game I've ever played.
    I think I still have 1 beta key, not sure.

May fav. classes are the Infiltrator and Doombringer.

20. HoFfNiGgA

HoFfNiGgA Well-Known Member

Eh. I played it again finding out my net was being diverted at the time. It's alright I guess. Certainly not the kind of game I like.