Tautology vs Ontology

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by frivolity, Nov 7, 2012.

1. frivolity

frivolity Well-Known Member

What's the difference between disagreeing with an argument tautologically and disagreeing with it on an ontological level?
  2. badmafa

badmafa Banned

The question is malformed, since tautology and ontology have nothing to do with one another. You might as well ask the difference between disagreeing with an argument geologically and disagreeing with it on a musical level.
  3. Foede

Foede Forum Manager

I almost always agree or disagree on a musical level. Arguments have to sound good in your head after all, and nothing better than a kick-ass guitar solo to make anything sound good!
  4. Mordoc.

Mordoc. Well-Known Member

Well then what about those face-smacking arguments trying to tell you the sun orbits around the earth ?
  5. Madness101

Madness101 Well-Known Member

Fuck it to hell on a Ontological level.
  6. Foede

Foede Forum Manager

Do you hear those arguments with a kick-ass guitar solo? because I don't!

I rest my case U_U
  7. Mordoc.

I much more imagine someone using said guitar to smack your face. There goes your solo, sir.
  8. Foede

Foede Forum Manager

The sound of a guitar smacking a face is not very pleasant, musically speaking of course, and that's why we don't agree with such arguments, because they sound bad.
  9. The Observer

The Observer Banned

10. Mordoc.

Screw you, Foede!

Now I can't stop listening to amazing guitar solos...
  11. Foede

Foede Forum Manager

I don't see a problem there :3
  12. Mordoc.

Won't be able to sleep thus won't be able to get up early thus will be late for my coffee machine thus will be late for university.
  13. Foede

Foede Forum Manager

Worth it >:3
  14. Mordoc.

Unfortunately, yes. :)
  15. STR1D3R

STR1D3R Well-Known Member

ITT: OP recently discovered 2 big words, now everyone else googles said words so they can join in with the debate.

Also a mod derails it and makes it about music.
  16. Goaty

Goaty Well-Known Member

How on earth do you even agree/disagree on a "tautological level"?
  17. frivolity

frivolity Well-Known Member

Well a student in my class made a presentation about an economics paper and claimed that he disagreed with it both tautologically and ontologically. I felt that his arguments pretty much had nothing to do with the subject itself since it didn't address any of the issues in the paper. Nevertheless, let me rephrase the question. What does it mean to disagree tautologically and what does it mean to disagree ontologically?
  18. BetaKey

BetaKey Well-Known Member

Logic and Existence. I study this in school, but I won't bother making a WoT so here's a link: plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-ontology/

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 AM ----------

Foede should be reported for derailing. :santa:
  19. Goaty

Goaty Well-Known Member

Sounds like your classmate was blowing hot air. I was under the impression that "tautology" is merely a literary element in which repetition is used to highlight a point, so in that context I find it quite difficult to disagree with anything on a "tautological level."

Perhaps someone could link an appropriate definition? My searches aren't bringing up anything of relevance.