Suggestions Forum Guidelines

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Volcove, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Axidos

Axidos Well-Known Member

Notveryclever, your problem is that people think everything should be suggestions and not discussion. If we segregate the discussion from the suggestions by creating a new subforum to get the discussions out of the way, that will only further enforce that suggestions-only mentality.

What we really need is a very loud message. Something like, after the original post of every topic made here, a post is automatically generated under IceFrog's account saying in bright red letters: "This forum is about discussion, not just suggestions. Focus on discussing an idea rather than simply voting on it, etc etc."

2. triangle

triangle Well-Known Member

That is true. I was looking short-term, to suffice until the system is readied.

3. king_james

king_james Well-Known Member

Is it possible to sticky the SDRC? (Suggestions Discussion and Review Committee) So that everyone in the forum will know who to PM for a certain review (hero/item/remake/visual/etc and so on?

4. Cp6uja

Cp6uja Well-Known Member

Sorry, but it isn't.

5. king_james

king_james Well-Known Member

^That sucks. IT ain't like DA no more. T_T

6. JJE92

JJE92 Moderator

Why not?

7. chadpiety123

chadpiety123 Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think i clashes with one of Icefrog's plans so stickying it is not allowed.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  8. Wyvernoid

Wyvernoid Well-Known Member

Because you could just write "PM me for remake, hero, item reviews" or "Willing to give constructive feedback to suggestions" in your signature when you put a "Certificated SDRC member" picture instead. It has an elitism tendency whether or not you admit it; and as anyone who wants to join is accepted, it doesn't really make you "certificated".

If you really want it stickied, change the thread name from "Suggestion Discussion Review Committee" to "People willing to review suggestions". It does help.

9. Cp6uja

Cp6uja Well-Known Member

He gave the exact answer before me. Also, its really unnecesary, there are much better things like Light-Coke's guide, or Asam3's guide. Just use Banner at signature, talk there and it will always be at first page. People try to overlook the sticky and then it becomes empty. Better stay it the current way.

10. Jenova-

Jenova- Moderator

Don't take me wrong, I'm a hardcore elitism hater (I opposed to any form of it in D-A), but a thread containing all the people willing to review a certain kind of suggestion (or any suggestion, for that matter) might prove to be useful, specially if you consider that the main goal is no longer votes, but discussion. Cigaro's thread in D-A was really popular and useful, so a thread like that one could be useful here too (that, if it doesn't already exist and I'm unaware of it, of course). No elitism, rules or anything like that: Just a plain list with all the people interested. Just my 2 cents, though.

11. Cp6uja

Cp6uja Well-Known Member

Well S.D.R.C. is working well and people are chatting and reviewing there. The problem is that people only ask for hero reviews which are the longest and hardest things to judge.

@ Jenova

Where were you for the last 3 months?

12. Jenova-

Jenova- Moderator

Indeed, that can be a problem. There should be a more restrictive system for hero suggestions, considering they are, by far, the hardest both to review and get implemented.

About my whereabouts these last months (and I apologize for the lack of a heads up in advance), I've been basically deprived from regular access to the internet, boosted by not having a lot of free time due to study for term exams and training sessions (Take my word on it, a dreadful combination). The worst part is that it won't probably be getting any better until, at least, October 10th, so I'm just paying an ephemeral visit to see how things are going.

EDIT: By the way, I just realized you managed to get the Repel icon implemented. Thanks a lot and congratulations!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  13. Cp6uja

Cp6uja Well-Known Member

Someone had to promote the quality suggestions ;D

14. Mae Shirayuki

Mae Shirayuki Well-Known Member

There are still ppl who like to post empty thread such as "this thread is still under constriction"... Haiz....

15. Jenova-

Jenova- Moderator

They do that because they are allowed to do so. Refrain from posting in such threads (at least until there is something to actually discuss on them).

16. thoby123

thoby123 Well-Known Member

How 'aggressive' (for lack of a better term) should we be when putting forth our own suggestions? It's a sad truth that a larger thread in the first page gets more attention than smaller ones, even if the suggestion is better as a whole.

I also find it redundant that we have threads in, say, the Cosmetics forum with a [COSMETIC] tag :mellow: Could we have guidelines on specific tags to use?

17. Axidos

Axidos Well-Known Member

Present interesting ideas and present them well and they will get all the attention they deserve. You'll notice the larger threads have interesting content and have presented it well. Also, chadpiety123 just won't stop asking people for Verus reviews.

Presenting them well means:
    • Make your thread look nice.
    • Keep things organised. Using popular templates will help - people are used to them.
    • Don't put everything in bold, bright colours and don't use 20 different headings. But no formatting at all can be boring.
    • Don't be a moron. Bad punctuation, grammar or spelling, usin chatspeak even tho ur on a forum n can take ur tyme typin and tAlKiNg LiKe ThIs are some sure-fire ways to make sure people hate you and leave your thread ASAP.
    • Don't talk too much, nobody likes to read a wall of text.
    • Pictures = bonus points if used well.
    • Bullet points can be handy sometimes! :D Sure makes things like this not look like walls of text.
    • BE INTERESTING. If you're not enthusiastic nobody else will be. Sometimes a little bit of humour can go a long way, but if you're not sure if it's funny it probably won't be.

Also, using the anchor tag helps when you have contents. Here's an example:

[goanchor=42]Click here.[/goanchor]

[a=42]Now you're here.[/a]

Code:
    [noparse][goanchor=42]Click here.[/goanchor]

[a=42]Now you're here.[/a][/noparse]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  18. Jenova-

Jenova- Moderator

I am not sure I understood what you meant with "aggresive". Do you mean aggressivity in creating the suggestion, advertising it or replying to other users?

And yes, it is indeed somewhat redundant. I've started to edit some of the wrong tags myself, and as always we should strive to teach by example. We might wrap up such a thread in the future, but for now let us all try to do our bit by using the correct tags and teaching other users.

19. thoby123

thoby123 Well-Known Member

Yeah was kinda unclear :mellow: Thanks much for the guide though Axidos, you should put that up somewhere!
    I meant the tendency of some suggestions to get fairly meaningless replies to throwaway T-Up/T-Down posts. Usually it comes from the OP, and IMO it comes off as a bad way to bump a thread.

Also just realised I'm not setting the best of examples myself :p Changing my old tags now!

20. Mae Shirayuki

Mae Shirayuki Well-Known Member

You said, "It's a sad truth that a larger thread in the first page gets more attention than smaller ones..."

When you enter this suggestions part, please visit the link below before you start a thread. This link teach you more than you start to click the suggestions thread from other members.
    http://www.playdota.com/forums/53708/compilation-useful-links/