Suggestions forum discussion: Layout

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Jenova-, Mar 15, 2011.

1. E02K

E02K Well-Known Member

When it's considered finished it must pass the Iron Fist mod. and then it will move to Public Suggestions.

2. Captain Planet

Captain Planet Moderator

Umm...dude, the draft forum would ALSO be public. That's the whole point of a draft forum.

3. E02K

E02K Well-Known Member

yes it is public.

4. E02K

E02K Well-Known Member

But another way is the Old DA but edited
    for example: you just can't t-up or t-down it without saying 5 rows of text or special members can t-up or t-down it.

5. Captain Planet

Captain Planet Moderator

^That's too invasive. How would that be enforced? It would just be too much work.

6. doomed2die

doomed2die Well-Known Member

i
    don't
    this.
    5-lines

t-down

Terrible enforcement and pointless. Modding as Juggernaut suggested is reliable and useful and good. No point in adding more to it. I would like to be able to have a head count of who likes and who doesn't and in what skills though...

7. Wrooks

Wrooks Well-Known Member

Computers aren't that limited. Besides the forum already has a 2 character limit so just up the limit for the hero subforum/ provide special words which can be posted without the need to write five lines of text such as this or I agree or I disagree or not this

With humans

On Hive workshop points can be given based on how interesting a post is or encouraging a post is. So something like that, you have two sets of scores, which are given by mods, people with a meaningful post record or/and by people with a high post count (sorry to be elitist but high post counts are usually people who have the time to evaluate such things).

Score one is bad and is given based on how vague your reviews are.

Score two is good and is given based on how valuable your reviews are.

8. Captain Planet

Captain Planet Moderator

^A post rating system has been ruled out since forever on this site. If it was ONLY in the suggestions forum it *might* work, but it would be liable to abuse (you rate mine and I'll rate yours). I agree with the motives and the reasons to implement it, but I know it can and probably will be abused.

9. Wrooks

Wrooks Well-Known Member

on hive, you have to give a reason for the good rating and their is no bad rating so maybe if a reason is given or if a chosen few just gave ratings it would work out.

10. erednay

erednay Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is the right thread but you should implement a reputation system in this forum similar to that of bodybuilding.com. That way, we would get more better posters and a more active community. Not to mention it's also fun.

11. Captain Planet

Captain Planet Moderator

^That's been discussed TO DEATH here (on this forum) and been rejected more than once.

12. menage0a0trois

menage0a0trois Well-Known Member

If it's only a suggestion forum thing, a "T-Up button" might be okay. Especially to less discussion heavy forums like the Visuals forum. While, yes it could be liable to abuse, it would be no more abusable than thread-bumping.

It could even be taken further. By having a T-Up button, it would be more justifiable for mods to restrict and perhaps even ban mere T-Up posts.

I have a lot more reprehension against a "rating system" versus a "like system" though. A five star rating system, for example, mostly ends up having 5 and 1 stars for majority of it's votes anyway and 2,3,&4 are mostly picked for vague arbitrary reasons.

[hr]
    I stick by what I said in the filtering discussion.
    Though, I'm not entirely sure of how easy it would be to implement, as I'm pretty sure it requires a database system that playdota.com currently doesn't have, I think it would be better to tackle that issue sooner rather than later.

13. Captain Planet

Captain Planet Moderator

I think having a T-up button where only the mods can see the results could be viable as well. That way everyone gets to have their say, but only those who deliver stuff to the King get to see what's hot and what's not.

14. Mazil

Mazil Well-Known Member

I don't mind this idea.

15. E02K

E02K Well-Known Member

+1

16. Bashtime

Bashtime Well-Known Member

So are we arguing about a 4 level rating system and a like/dislike system?
    I'd vote for a rating system. Normal user can only chose between 3. Mods will decide if idea is worth to get the 4th star.

1 star: totally Unneeded/ bad concept/unintelligible
    2 stars: useful if it gets improved (for maybe one-sided suggs or suggs that need tweaks)
    3(4) stars: decent/good (and excellent ideas = A variety of aspects has been considered)

Rating becomes valid if more than 50?100?150?X? people have voted and becomes then visible. Everytime you give a vote a window will pop up where you have to state why you ve been voting this way. So we get a lot of responses and filter by the community. Let me distinguish between highly voted suggestions with 2 and more stars and low voted suggestions which have no rating now and are new.

Remakes/Dusa/mystic-snake/add-35%slow
    you'll be asked by voting 3 stars e.g.
    What can be improved?
    -A template and more explanations for the change XY. It's really hard to get the gist.

Is the concept ok but needs more tweaks? What do you like?
    - I like the idea but I would set the cooldown from 10 to 15/14/13/12 because it would
    be too good early game at level 2. 3 people slowed by 35% for just 120 mana? A 10 sec cd 3 sec duration 35% slow would be too easy to spam. Besides slow should have a weaker scaling. I agree that she s rarely picked nowadays

in which way would this suggestion remove or cause imbalance?
    -Since the hero has no chasing abilities and weak stats gain this would help her to be more useful in team fights, this would make her a better pick

Which aspects didnt the OP consider?
    -In team fights dusa can slow up to 5 people by 35% which might allow your team and easy escape. Plus stonegaze enemies wont be able to move at all. More than 1 unit can be affected. OP didnt mind, that dusa is quite tanky through mana shield. this slow will make it really hard to chase her down.

Visuals/Magina/Blink-Rename-to-timejump-and-iconchange
    You ve voted 1 star.

What do you disapprove of?
    I don't want be forced to have logic in dota. Ofc AM is blind but if you die you wouldnt revive. If you are dead you are dead.See it's not logical. Blink means he moves a lot within a blink or split of a second.
    The icon looks really ugly. The current one fits way better and I ve seen better alternatives.

Is there any point you like about the idea?
    NOOOO. It looks like a 1 min work. OP writes in an awful English. I can hardly figure out what he wants. The name change sounds totally ret***ed

Do you want give the OP an advice how to improve:
    please check these links about templates and what matters to have a fitting icon theme.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  17. Wrooks

Wrooks Well-Known Member

What ever we choose rating or results I think its agreed upon that only the mods should see the results to steer away from baises votes. Additionally since the mods can see the results they shouldn't have the ability to vote.

18. Captain Planet

Captain Planet Moderator

Well...would it really matter since they only have 1 vote?

19. Mazil

Mazil Well-Known Member

^ Depends, what are we going to use the votes to determine? What is the significance of a highly scored suggestion? Because it won't mean implementation, it will just mean its popular and well liked by a small portion of the overall dota community.

If it was like the DA system, where the scores matter, then a Judge/Mod might be biased because they can see the scores infront of them. They might go "I like this suggestion and it's one vote away from recognition... But I hate the user so I will T-down it to spite them."

20. Captain Planet

Captain Planet Moderator

Then that mod shouldn't've been a mod in the first place and problem is solved :)