Silver Edge damage reduction

Discussion in 'Advanced Mechanics' started by FootysMaXeD, Mar 19, 2016.

1. FootysMaXeD

FootysMaXeD Well-Known Member

The damage reduction applied to targets is 40%, but I have some questions on what it affects.

1. Does it reduce damage returned from blademail?
    2. Does it reduce damage from exorcism?
    3. And death ward?

2. AKBu3nY

AKBu3nY Well-Known Member

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. No

It reduces any outgoing damage the source deals. This reduction is basically directly applied to the affected unit and happens before any incoming damage reduction the target has (i.e. magic resistance, armor, etc)

Death Ward is its own unit, the damage is sourced to the ward, not the hero. The debuff only affects the unit it is on, all other units under its control are unaffected.

The only exception to this is Power Cogs' zap damage, because that is still sourced to Clockwerk, not to the cogs.

3. FootysMaXeD

FootysMaXeD Well-Known Member

Hm, that's interesting. I didn't think exorcism would be reduced, because it each spirit is a separate unit.

Maybe valve should source death ward damage to WD as well, but give him a slight stats buff or something. It's annoying that death ward doesn't show up on the death recap screen.

Nether ward is sourced to pugna, so blademail works against it.

4. AKBu3nY

The spirits are not units in Dota2. They are just "projectiles".

Death Ward and other wards used to be sourced to their casters. It was changed to be sourcd to the wards themselves. I doubt they'll revert that.

Nether Ward damage is sourced to the ward itself since 6.83.

5. Black_Ice

Black_Ice Well-Known Member

So silver edge reduces ALL damage dealt by afflicted target (not just base attack damage)?

Sure as hell understood otherwise from the description... Better start hitting zeus with that shit...

6. AKBu3nY

Yep. Reduces all damage output of the affected unit.

7. stereox

stereox Well-Known Member

this 40% damage reduction is usually forgotten by pub players. They just aim that break debuff.

8. Blamagenkind

Blamagenkind Well-Known Member

How about hp removal and pure damage? I'm guessing HP removal is unaffected and pure damage is decreased?

Edit: Nevermind, checked the wiki.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  9. Supa_

Supa_ Well-Known Member

yea right this item is built so often in comp oh wait it isnt

10. AKBu3nY

Even the "pros" mostly forget about the 40%.

The damage type doesn't matter. HP removal is ignored, it isn't a damage type.