Religion debates

Discussion in 'Debate Forum' started by Yes.I.Did, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Eutychius

Eutychius Moderator

Moved the Catholicism debate from "Homosexuality debates". You can continue it here.

2. TwoHourMotel

TwoHourMotel Well-Known Member

Catholics are real christians, like baptists and protastants and anglicans and the hundreds of other sects.

If they believe in the holy trinity, worship Jesus and base their ideology on the bible, they're Christian.

End of story.

3. mrfokker

mrfokker Well-Known Member

Yeah but that's not what their local priests/parents/teachers told them, so you all are wrong. Also at some point you guys (thm, euty...) Will realize there is no debate when you can't argue with god.

4. TwoHourMotel

I agree, but a lot of times these debates were having aren't really there to convince the other person.

I might not be able to convince kildat, but maybe the hundreds of lurkers that read these threads regularly will have their opinions changed or at the very least, challenged.

5. mrfokker

>hundreds

LUL

On a serious note, it is not about convincing other people of your own views, but about being able to maintain a conversation based on a logical information exchange. When you take logic out of the conversation you may as well read twitch chat/4chan/whatever and get as much value from that exchange.

6. TwoHourMotel

Hundreds per year :cat:

7. Z01d

Z01d Well-Known Member

I'm just lurking to see how much longer you and the dinosaur are willing to lead the same circular argument with someone who is obviously unable to lead a discussion. Maybe it's just because I'm incredibly lazy but I have to commend you on the energy you waste on writing these walls of text to be completely ignored or cherry picked to shit. But that's WN&D for you.

8. kildat017

kildat017 Well-Known Member

by praying the rosary? by praying Heil Mary 10x?

9. r0xo

r0xo Well-Known Member

As far as I know they still do the "accept Jesus as their lord and saviour" thing?

Isn't that the main thing you have to do? It feels like you are saying that because they break some of the rules they are not true Christians. Then you should also say a robber or adulterer are not true Christians. But then again, I guess you do that too.

10. kildat017

umm, nope? ask many catholics and they'll answer they're saved by good works and not by grace.

church hold way bigger responsibility than just individuals. so if they're tons of statues inside a church you know its a false church.

11. r0xo

r0xo Well-Known Member

Well I will take your word on that for now. I don't know any catholics (very few South Africans are catholic) and I can't really go and research it now.

I don't agree that having statues in the church necessarily means it is false. But I get what you mean. Like say for instance there are a bunch of Jesus statues, even if people sit in front of said statue and prays to Jesus then I don't see how that is worshiping an idol (it is more of a symbolic practice in that case, the statue is a more concrete representation and you are praying to Jesus not the actual statue).

I think in many cases you are correct though. And especially the saint thing doesn't make sense to me at all. Praying to someone who apparently performed miracles? Even if they did, that doesn't make sense. I am pretty sure it goes against some principles in the bible.

12. Petique

Petique Well-Known Member

Read my post and stop parroting yourself every time.

13. kildat017

you mean this?

tl;dr catholicucks defending idols by saying they're not idols because they say so. therefore bow to the statues.

Euty deleted my post.

14. Petique

Petique Well-Known Member

Your argument is pretty much the same too, so what's the difference?

15. kildat017

generalization: the post

16. Z01d

Z01d Well-Known Member

Apparently people think Catholicism is still the same as it was in the dark ages.
    It is not.
    The only differences to other christian churches are minor theological issues and the question who's in charge.

17. kildat017

okay, that's a good one.

:cat:

18. Eutychius

Eutychius Moderator

I'm not actually part of this religion debate, just the homosexuality one. It's obvious arguing God is pointless. Even though the point made for Catholics by kidlat is not really about God.

19. mrfokker

The homosexuality debate isn't that different. Some religious people just throw their holy books/deities/what some rabbi tells them as arguments why X (in that case homosexuality) is bad.

"Debating" then becomes straight up trying to disrespect people for their (dis)beliefs, and that goes for every blind religious person (and it's funny how hard they insist on every other religion being fundamentally wrong even if they say basically the same).

20. Z01d

Z01d Well-Known Member

It's the same discussion just with a different topic.

I could refute most points about Catholicism or Catholics (2 different things entirely) but considering who brought them up, it's complete waste of time and energy.

Honestly, I don't even know why these threads are even open as the last few pages are all repetition and circles. People made their point of view and their unwillingness to accept others views. There is nothing to be gained here.