[List]Hero names origin

Discussion in 'DotA Chat' started by Zangetsu2201, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Zangetsu2201

Zangetsu2201 Well-Known Member

Hero names origin

Out of boredom, curiosity and fascination, I decided to search for the meaning of every hero's name and share them with the rest of the community. The following list provides information about the origin and meaning of some hero names, with links for more information (where it was needed). The list is not complete, as I couldn't find anything for some names and, on top of that, I don't even remember the campaign very well to know all the heroes whose name originate from it. So, feel free to contribute to the list by providing more info and correcting possible mistakes. Enjoy!

[table]Legend |
    [highlight]![/highlight] | No information found; |
    (?) | Unsure if the information provided is the right one;|[/table]

[table]Kunkka / Daelin Proudmoore, The Admiral | The name "Kunkka" comes from the DeviantART account of Kendrick Lim, the one who has created the load screen since the 6.50 version. See here. The name "Daelin Proudmoore" is taken from the campaign.
    Rexxar, the Beastmaster | Name taken from the Campaign;
    Bradwarden, the Centaur Warchief | Bradwarden is a name of a centaur in "The Demon Spirit", the second book in the first "DemonWars" trilogy, written by R.A. Salvatore. See here;
    Raigor Stonehoof, the Earthshaker | "Stonehoof" is composed from the words "stone" and "hoof", whereas stone symbolizes strength and toughness of the hero model;
    Purist Thunderwrath, the Omniknight | A purist is one who desires that an item remain true to its essence and free from adulterating or diluting influences. See here;
    Mangix, the Pandaren Brewmaster | Name taken from the TFT bonus campaign;
    Sven, the Rogue Knight | Sven-Ole Thorsen is the name of an wrestler whose catch phrase was "I will pump you up!", which can be seen in the description of his skills. See here;
    Tiny, the Stone Giant | The name may come from a boss in the "Secret of Evermore" game, who fights by throwing goblins and has the appearance of a giant. See here;
    Cairne Bloodhoof, the Tauren Chieftain | Name taken from the campaign.
    Rooftrellen, the Treant Protector | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Razzil Darkbrew, the Alchemist | Name taken from the campaign;
    Rigwarl, the Bristleback | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Rattletrap, the Clockwerk Goblin | Rattletrap = something worn out, rickety, or rattling;
    Knight Davion, the Dragon Knight | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Magnus, the Magnataur | "Magnus" is the Latin for "great", it also is an effect in physics, which fits his theme. See here;
    Huskar, the Sacred Warrior | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Crixalis, the Sand King | Derived from the word "chrysalis", the pupal stage of a butterfly. See here;
    Barathrum, the Spiritbreaker | In Latin, Barathrum means "Abyss" or "Under World";
    Leviathan, the Tide Hunter | A leviathan is a legendary, large, sea monster. See here;
    Mogul Kahn, the Axe | Genghis Khan is the founder of the Mongol empire and a "mogul" is a member of said empire. See here;
    Nessaj, the Chaos Knight | "Nessaj" was one of Naz's (previous TDA admin) gaming handle;
    Lucifer, the Doom Bringer | Lucifer, in Christian beliefs, is the name of the Archangel that was banished from Heaven because he compared himself with God. See here;
    N'aix, the Lifestealer | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Abaddon, the Lord of Avernus | In St. John's "Revelation", Abaddon is the king of tormenting locusts and the angel of the bottomless pit. See here;
    Banehallow, the Lycanthrope | Name taken from the campaign;
    Balanar, the Night Stalker | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Azgalor, the Pit Lord | Name taken from the campaign;
    Pudge, the Butcher | Pudge = an adjective for a short, fat person;
    King Leoric, the Skeleton King | Name taken from Diablo. See here;
    Slardar, the Slithereen Guard | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Dirge, the Undying | A dirge is a somber song expressing mourning or grief, such as would be appropriate for performance at a funeral. See here;
    Magina, the Anti-Mage | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Kardel Sharpeye, the Swarven Sniper | "Kardel" may be derived from the indonesian word "kardil" which means "dwarf". "Sharpeye" is a term used to describe a very good vision and attention to details, mandatory for a sniper;
    Yurnero, the Juggernaut | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Syllabear, the Lone Druid | Hero named after Syl-lab-le, from clan TDA, one of the developers who worked with Guinsoo. Before retiring, he created this hero;
    Luna Moonfang, the Moon Rider | "Luna" is Latin for "moon" and "Moonfang" is composed from the words "moon" and "fang", reference to the hero's theme and model;
    Morphling, the Morphling | To morph = to transform, to change form. Also, the name may come from a character in the trading cards game Magic: The Gathering, who had some sort of a morphing ability. See here;
    Slithice, the Naga Siren | A "slith" is a fantastic snake-like creature which resembles the Naga Siren's model. Even though the notion of "slith" is present in many multiverses, such as M:tG and Star Wars, I have no idea of its mythological provenience;
    Azwraith, the Phantom Lancer | Explained in the hero's background story. See here;
    Mirana Nightshade, the Priestess of the Moon | Mirana is the tiger of Multan fort that killed the king of Mongols (in the Mongol folklore). "Nightshade" is composed from the words "night" and "shade", most likely a reference to her ult. See here;
    Rikimaru, the Stealth Assassin | Is the name of a ninja in the video game Tenchu: Stealth Assassins. See here;
    Jah'Rakal, the Troll Warlord | Jah'rakal means "Blinding axe" in troll language, as explained in his background story. See here;
    Gondar, the Bounty Hunter | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Traxex, the Drow Ranger | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Darkterror, the Faceless Void | Composed from the words "dark" and "terror", symbolizes the power of this hero;
    Meepo, the Geomancer | A kobold NPC from a low level adventure, Wizards of the Coast's Sunless Citadel. See here;
    Razor, the Lightning Revenant | Razor could mean a whole lot of things, however, none of them is connected to lightnings, so it's safe to assume it refers to the bladed tool;
    Medusa, the Gorgon | In Greek mythology, Medusa is one of the three Gorgons. See here;
    Lanaya, the Templar Assassin | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Ulfsaar, the Ursa Warrior | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Shendelzare Silkwood, the Vengeful Spirit | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Slark, the Murloc Nightcrawler | A murloc-like creature in World of Warcraft. See here;
    Strygwyr, the Bloodseeker | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Clinkz, the Bone Fletcher | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Black Arachnia, the Broodmother | "Arachnia" derives from the term "arachnidae", the class in which all spiders are included. The "black" part might be a reference to the black widow, a lethal species of spiders. See here;
    Anub'arak, the Nerubian Assassin | Name taken from the campaign;
    Anub'seran, the Nerubian Weaver | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Mortred, the Phantom Assassin | Derived from "Mordred", the illegitimate brother of King Arthur, a traitor who fought him in the Battle of Calmann, where he was killed. See here;
    Nevermore, the Shadow Fiend | The name may come from the poem "The Raven", by Edgar Allan Poe, in which the word "nevermore" appears quite often. Also, the words "shadow" and "fiend", which represent the hero class, are also present in the poem. See here;
    Terrorblade, the Soul Keeper | Name taken from the campaign;
    Mercurial, the Specter | Most likely, it comes from the DeviantART account of Kenneth Tan, the person who made the 6.28-6.32 loadscreen. See here;
    Lesale Deathbringer, the Venomancer | In French, "sale" means "dirty", "horrible", "foul" etc. and "le" is the article. "Deathbringer", composed from the words "death" and "bringer" emphasizes the poison theme of the hero;
    Viper, the Netherdrake | A viper is a snake in the Viperidae family, obvious reference to the poison theme of the hero. See here;
    Rylai Crestfall, the Crystal Maiden | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Aiushtha, the Enchantress | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Puck, the Fairy Dragon | Puck is a mythological fairy or mischievous nature sprite. See here;
    Chen, the Holy Knight | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Ezalor, the Keeper of the Light | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Zeus, the Lord of Olympia | In Greek mythology, Zeus is the supreme god and also the God of lightning. See here;
    Furion, the Prophet | Name derived from the campaign;
    Nortrom, the Silencer | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Lina Inverse, the Slayer | Lina Inverse is the main character in the "Slayers" anime. See here;
    Raijin Thunderkeg, the Storm Spirit | In Japanese mythology, Raijin is a god of thunder and lightning. "Thunderkeg" is composed from the words "thunder" and "keg", referring to the theme of this hero and the theme of the original Panda. See here;
    Alleria, the Windrunner | Name taken from the W2 campaign. See here;
    Jin'Zakk, the Batrider | In WoW, warlord Jin'zakk is the ruler of Zul'Aman and rules from the Shrine of Ula-Tek. See here;
    Squee, Splee and Spoon, the Goblin Techies | The whole name is composed from three random words starting with the letter "s" (one for each goblin), for comic relief. "Squee" refers to a goblin from the trading card games Magic: The Gathering; "Spleen" is the name of an organ found in all vertebrate animals; "Spoon" is the name of an utensil used for eating;
    Kael, the Invoker | Name derived from the campaign;
    Visage, the Necro'lic | Visage is a noun which means "face", usually with reference to shape and features. It fits the Necro'lic's shapeless and grotesque model ;
    Aggron Stonebreaker, the Ogre Magi | The name may come from the slang word "aggro", also Aggron is a rock type Pokémon. See here."Stonebreaker", composed from the words "stone" and "breaker" denotes great strength;
    Dazzle, the Shadow Priest | (?)To dazzle = to cause someone to lose clear vision, especially from intense light;(?)
    Rhasta, the Shadow Shaman | May be a reference to the "Rastafari movement", a monotheistic, religious movement that arose in Jamaica. See here;
    Boush, the Tinker | Is the name of a beta-tester;
    Leshrac the Malicious, the Tormented Soul | Leshrac is a character in "Magic: The Gathering" trading card game. See here;
    Jakiro, the Two-headed Dragon | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Vol'jin, the Witch Doctor | Name taken from the campaign;
    Kaldr, the Ancient Apparition | The pronunciation of the word "Kaldr" is very similar to that of the word "colder" which describes the hero's theme very well;
    Atropos, the Bane Elemental | In Greek mythology, Atropos was one of the three Moirae, goddesses of fate and destiny. See here;
    Ish'Kafel, the Dark Seer | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Krobelus, the Death Prophet | (?)A sorcerer in the "Summoner 2" game. See here;(?)
    Lion, the Demon Witch | The name may simply be a refernce to the hero's power, considering the fact that the lion is called "king of the beasts";
    Darchrow, the Enigma | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Kel'Thuzad, the Lich | Name taken from the campaign;
    Rotund'jere, the Necrolyte | [highlight]![/highlight]
    Pugna, the Oblivion | "Pugna" is the Latin for "war", "battle";
    Harbinger, the Obsidian Destroyer | A harbinger is a sign of things to come, similar to an omen. See here. It was also one of the gaming handles of Harby, an active beta tester;
    Akasha, the Queen of Pain | In "The Vampire Chronicles", written by Anne Rice, Akasha is the first vampire created. See here;
    Demnok Lanniik, the Warlock | [highlight]![/highlight][/table]
    Last edited: May 4, 2010
  2. LulzYeah

LulzYeah Banned

There is a thread about this a year ago IIRC. Try searching it. It not only covers up the origin of heroes, but also items.
  3. javaer

javaer Well-Known Member

4. Zangetsu2201

^ My knowledge of Chinese = 0. However, Google Translate says: "恩恩 ~ ~ ~ to support you, ~ ~ very comprehensive, very nice oh ~ ~

Study of the ~ ~!", so I guess it's a supportive comment, thanks! :)
  5. dominator02

dominator02 Well-Known Member

Items and background story has origin.I search it soon.
  6. AceOfJokers

AceOfJokers Well-Known Member

Puck was a character in Shakespear's - A Midsummer Night's Dream iirc
  7. Zangetsu2201

Yes, you are right, but I searched for the most likely meaning of the name. In some cases, I found a lot more possible meanings, but some of them were very unlikely (e.g. for Razor, if you search on wikipedia, you'll find a lot of crap... )
  8. Koziolek

Koziolek Well-Known Member

Nice find man.

Icefrog really likes those references huh.
  9. killerlot12

killerlot12 Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure kael is the same kael from the campaign. Also Magnus is related to magnetism which is related to his ulti.

pretty sure sven is a wrestler or body builder or something whos catch phrase was something to do with 'pumped up' which is described in his skills.

again anubarak is the same anubarak that lead arthas through the spider kingdom to the frozen throne in the campaign.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  10. Anti-Xenophobe

Anti-Xenophobe Well-Known Member

Anub'arak and Kael are campaign heroes.
  11. Zangetsu2201

^ Added. Thanks, as I've said, I don't remember the campaign very well...
  12. Protocol123

Protocol123 New Member

Alleria Windrunner is the name of a hero in the old, old Warcraft II - Beyond the Dark Portal.
  13. Myself

Myself Well-Known Member

For slardar I'm not sure about his name but as for Slithereen guard it can refer to either the verb slither which as you might guess is the movement snake like creatures do or it might refer to Slytherin from the Harry Potter books.
  14. excelsior

excelsior Well-Known Member

Good list, I enjoyed reading them :) I'll help some out, not sure if they are correct though

Anub'arak originates from the Warcraft III: Frozen Throne campaign as many have known him as the traitor King of Nerubian Empire.

Mortred could be a name derived from the Latin word "morte" which means death.

Alleria's name came from Warcraft lore Alleria Windrunner, Sylvanas' sister whose location is yet unknown even in the present WotLK era, she's presumably missing in Draenor(Outlands) with her hubby Turalyon. I hope she plays a big role in WoW next expansion Cataclysm.

Kael is a shortname for Prince Kael'thas Sunstrider - wc3 TFT campaign.

Vol'jin is also from wc3 campaign, he's currently Thrall's trusty right hand man. He has a sick looking mohawk too. He'll play a big role in the upcoming WoW Cataclysm expansion where the trolls will retake their hometown Echo Isles.
  15. javaer

javaer Well-Known Member

yes! u are right!

Support you! Studying!
  16. rulikkk

rulikkk Well-Known Member

I think Magnus has much to deal with
    Magnus effect (physics) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia
    Probablym, named after german physicist and chemist H.G. Magnus.
    The Magnus-effect explains (for example) why some particles (suppose sugar) gather in the centre of the cup, if the water is rotating == much in common with his ultimate.
  17. Zangetsu2201

^Added. Also, if "Anub'arak" is taken from the campaign, is it safe to assume the same for "Anub'seran"?
  18. Linism

Linism Well-Known Member

If you read the Hero story for Azwraith you get a really cheesey explanation why he's called that...

I'm guessing PL didn't think Azillusion wasn't a catchy enough name and went with Azwraith.

And isn't Syllabear a tribute to a player/developer or something?

Rhasta is probably an allusion to Rastas/Rastafari movement (what with the Jamaican accent and the stereotype that Jamaican accent = voodoo master).
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  19. Protocol123

Protocol123 New Member

Also, unless it's pure coincidence I'd be willing to bet that Puck, the Fairy Dragon is a partial reference to the famous 60's song Puff, the Magic Dragon.
  20. Baconnaise

Baconnaise Well-Known Member

Nice list, you obviously spent a lot of time on it's partial completion. Just a note, if you look at obsidian destroyer's name it's Harbinger not HarbRinger.