KotL.

Discussion in 'Game Strategy' started by s.ops_Freak, Sep 23, 2010.

1. s.ops_Freak

s.ops_Freak Well-Known Member

I have a skillbuild that I use consistently but I've been having some doubts...

Mine looks like:

Illuminate
    Chakra
    Chakra
    Illuminate
    Chakra
    Illuminate
    Illuminate
    Spirit Form
    Mana Leak
    Mana Leak
    Mana Leak
    Mana Leak
    Spirit Form
    etc.

I max Chakra more than Illuminate in the early stages because the ability to spam > One strong Illuminate.

I stop leveling chakra after lvl 3 because I feel like that solves all my mana needs and leaves room for me to get my Ultimate much easier.

I don't really upgrade my Ultimate till later on because it's scaling is bad (only the CD decreases) which also leaves room for me to get that very useful Mana Leak much faster.

Ok, so I used to sacrifice one point of my Illuminate for Mana Leak but I find that the -100 DMG from it isn't worth it for a skill that might be rendered useless since it doesn't burn that much mana and can be countered easily since they are not obliged to move and even if they do decide to move, the mana drained is not significant. Besides, the casting range on Mana Leak is horrible at lvl 1 and the opponent would most likely see it comming and go back.

So.... what's your skillbuild and give reasons why...

2. ^^DragonFist^^

^^DragonFist^^ Well-Known Member

Your skillbuild is about the same as mine, but I would put a mana leak point at level 5 instead of that chakra (optional)

3. asdfgadsfz12

asdfgadsfz12 Well-Known Member

1. I don't think you should keep Chakra at level 3 because it's for your allies as well.

2. Illuminate is very strong early game to harass and shoot from forest. There's no reasons you should be spamming it because you should be hitting all your illuminate on both creeps and players. I use Illuminate at level 3 when it's level 2.

3. I would keep ult at level 1.

4. Mana leak is good for the slow afterward.

I haven't used KOTL in awhile, but I usually just get aura based items for pushing creeps. AC, Shiva, Vlads, etc...

4. KillerTaipan

KillerTaipan Well-Known Member

I put an earlier point in mana leak..useful if someone just casted all their shit, and they are chasing you/ally, you can slow them pretty good.

5. BlueRangerGoGo

BlueRangerGoGo Well-Known Member

Illu or mana leak at level 3 will be better. You can use a clarity pot if you have mana problems at level 3

6. SG|The ShadowZ|

SG|The ShadowZ| Well-Known Member

See which hero is at your lane and leak + illumate can be a wise combo for harass as they need to compensate either to loss mp or hp. For supporting nuke allies, chakra will be evident as well as advocative.

7. beard

beard Well-Known Member

unless I predict lots of turtling, I will always leave illuminate and chakra at lv2 and max out mana leak first. At higher levels the mana lockdown is very valuable during ganks. Most of the time landing a full charged illuminate is impractical and I usually release it earlier, so I never bothered with full lvl illuminate until later in the game.

The other issue is that unless you are winning 5 teamfights in a row, you won't be past lv12 before the game is already determined. You will almost always have low level spells instead of having them at max level.

Also you should level ult whenever possible, you get more spirit form time and your blinding light lasts longer, it pays off.

8. ^Much better. I often take a level of mana leak to use if i can catch the enemy. You can take off 20-60% of their mana as the first wave ends most of the time. People bring lots of tangos and salves, very few people bring enough clarities to survive aggressive mana leaks.

Illuminate/mana leak
    Chakra
    Illuminate/mana leak (whichever wasn't leveled)
    Chakra
    Chakra
    ulti
    illuminate
    mana leak
    mana leak
    mana leak
    chakra
    stats/illuminate/ulti

Mana leak is insanely powerful. It robs a hero who runs of all their mana no matter what point of the game it is. Heroes with no mana are usually not very useful. Heroes who stand still for 8 seconds are usually not very useful. Win win.

Hitting people will lvl 2 illuminates is powerful throughout early/mid game. When ulti is up it is much easier to have it cast a level 2-3 illuminate then be forced to figure out where enemies will be in 5 seconds.

9. andrfid

andrfid Well-Known Member

I always take Spirit Form at 6, 11 and 16, it's great for team ;)

10. qoou

qoou Well-Known Member

In a regular game:
    Illuminate/Chakra
    Chakra/Illuminate
    Chakra
    Mana Leak
    Chakra
    Spirit Form
    Chakra
    Mana Leak
    Mana Leak
    Mana Leak
    Spirit Form
    Stats/Illuminate
    Stats/Illuminate
    etc

In a pub game:
    Illuminate
    Chakra
    Chakra
    Illuminate
    Illuminate
    Chakra
    Illuminate
    Spirit Form
    Chakra
    etc

11. ^Eternity^

^Eternity^ Well-Known Member

Better players often go for:

Leak
    Chakra
    Chakra
    Illuminate
    Chakra
    Ulti
    Chakra
    Illuminate
    Leak
    Leak
    Leak
    Ulti
    Illuminate
    Illuminate
    Illuminate
    Stats
    Ulti

Simply because 1 hero caught out of position will suffer greatly with mana leak burning away their mana.Spamming mana leak at lvl 1 i viable on melee opponents. Chakra is rather more important to spam on allies and since mana leak is a cheap spell compared to illuminate its better to use mana leak and let your ally spam spells in order to do damage/get kills.

Early game give mana to your partner every cooldown and your partner should be spamming his spammable skill anyways.Illuminates should be done from fog and sparingly since it takes a lot of mana and level 1 of it does too much damage with higher levels being useless pretty much.Also its easily detectable using a wand/stick.

Lastly hitting a maxed illuminate during teamfights is deadly but to make sure you hit your illuminate you can release it even in spirit form by simply pressing the ability hotkey T again.

12. Milk

Milk Well-Known Member

+1 on early Mana Leak. That skill isn't abused enough in-lane and it alone lets you dominate some lanes.

13. chuavechito

chuavechito Well-Known Member

In competitive games: you need to support and gank.

Mana
    Chakra
    Chakra
    Ilu
    Chakra
    Spirit
    Chakra
    Mana
    Mana
    Mana
    Spirit
    Ilu
    Ilu
    Ilu
    Stats
    Spirit

In public games: you need to farm and push.

Ilu
    Chakra
    Chakra
    Ilu
    Ilu
    Chakra
    Ilu
    Chakra
    Spirit
    Mana
    Mana
    Mana
    Mana
    Spirit
    Stats
    Spirit

14. Cerealmaniac

Cerealmaniac Well-Known Member

This works fine for a pub farming Ezalor, but in competitive, where you are going for support, Ezalor needs Mana leak and Chakra early, and just 1 level of Illuminate. The extra illuminate damage is unecessary on a hero that isn't meant to get creeps or heroes. The Mana Drain is invaluable during early laning especially when combined with a level 1 Illuminate, they can either choose to get damaged, or lose all their mana. You will mainly be using Leak, and using Chakra to sustain allies' mana as opposed to your own.

15. KuroNeko

KuroNeko Moderator

Just fyi...

Kotl's ultimate
    -cd 80/70/60
    -blind duration 3/4/5
    -recall 5/4/3 (or so)

My build is pretty much the same as yours, but for a heavy support/ganking/babysit kotl, I've seen some guys get 2 illu, 3 chakra, then max mana leak.

Nuke without stealing creeps from carries, usually best when with a PL or something...

In a game where you might be soloing, your build is fine.

16. leomon235

leomon235 Well-Known Member

I only play KOTL with an aggressive laner like PL or ES, and my build goes:

Chakra
    Mana leak
    Chakra
    Illuminate
    Chakra
    Spirit Form
    Chakra

Aka, massive support build ftw. If I'm playing pubs, I'll forgo Mana Leak and Spirit Form and just go illuminate spamming ftw.

17. rakmaninoff

rakmaninoff Well-Known Member

yeah AC is partially an aura orientated item. however, 35 out of 55 attack speed and 10 out of 15 armor is personal. -5 team minus armor aside, this is probably 60% a personal item. Don't act like it holds a candle to guinsoo. And your fantasy about aura based items makes me suspicious that you are the noob i was 5 years ago who thought he was pro for getting meka vlad necro on furion. I mean seroiusly, you can fantasize about being a poly-pusher, but a guinsoo is gonna help everyone so much more.

18. Kris

Kris Moderator

Just max stats at 19

It fixes the feeder problem

19. woozie how

woozie how Well-Known Member

Add one level of mana leak early and the build is fine.

20. †André†

†André† Well-Known Member

While baby sitting that PL I basically go no
    Mana Leak
    Chakra
    Chakra
    Illuminate
    Chakra
    Spirit Form
    Chakra

from then on it depends.. if I am still with the lane with PL, I level Mana Leak or else if I am defending towers or roaming I go Illu..

While not babysiting anyone I go.

Mana Leak
    Illu
    Chakra
    Chakra
    Illu
    Illu
    Chakra
    Spirit / Illu
    Chakra / Spirit
    then proceed to max mana leak and so on..