Is World Peace Attainable?

Discussion in 'Debate Forum' started by ryan.wthxx, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Lithary

Lithary Well-Known Member

I say, let's make dragons and/or help octopuses evolve so they can have their own advanced civilisation!
    That way we can have a rival race and would be forced to unite!

Can I have my cookie now?

I'm having a really jolly day (for whatever reason), btw. XD

Removing all conflict is downright silly.
    Conflict is what makes us go forward.
    But like with pretty much everything, balance is needed - too much conflict and we'll destroy ourselves, not enough conflict and we'll grow stagnant and wither away.

2. TwoHourMotel

TwoHourMotel Well-Known Member

It would be much easier to create robots to take over the world than it would to evolve octopuses to be any sort of rival in the next 100,000 years. However, the robots might be too much of a challenge for us to defeat, ultimately leading to a cyborg planet full of humanoid abominations.

3. ryan.wthxx

ryan.wthxx Well-Known Member

Which is why we make them easy bots, or at most normal level bots, so we can pwn them easily and foster camaraderie :rambo:

4. Saved

Saved Well-Known Member

Attainable for a time.

You can't have everlasting peace, just like you can't have everlasting war. If conditions for peace are met, it will happen, same for war.

5. r0xo

r0xo Well-Known Member

We must prepare for the risk of a race of octobots.

I for one will have admiration and hate for our multi-appendaged cybermasters.

6. TwoHourMotel

TwoHourMotel Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seriously though, the only way I think you'll ever unite humanity is if we all had a common enemy. Nothing brings people together like hatred for other people sadly; or at least, that seems to be the case for at least the next 1000 years imo.

7. r0xo

r0xo Well-Known Member

I agree, sadly this is probably the only way that is realistic in the near future. But then again, what can there be other than one group of people? Maybe another World War type of thing with an enemy that is common to most of the rest of the world. But that would be awful, especially in modern times.

I think we are destined to either have conflict forever or hopefully reach a point quite a bit into the future where we are advanced enough to realise that the small differences are pointless.

8. Saved

Saved Well-Known Member

I don't think most wars are about hatred. I mean, hatred can certainly fuel a war, but the more common reason (I would assume) is resource scarcity. It's the same reason why animals fight and kill each other - for food/survival.

Under extreme circumstances, can we find a way to still peacefully resolve things? Even ridiculous things like who lives or dies? Who is to decide?