Is World Peace Attainable?

Discussion in 'Debate Forum' started by ryan.wthxx, Jul 14, 2013.

1. ryan.wthxx

ryan.wthxx Well-Known Member

With world issues such as global warming and nuclear warfare, why aren't countries cooperating? Even if it means having to be the colony of another country, or cutting down on economic growth and having sanctions in place, isn't it better than having the world collapse?

2. P1louxxx

P1louxxx Well-Known Member

Thread approved and now open to debate, please accept my humblest apology on behalf of the PD Staff for this very late action due to internal restructuring.

3. TwoHourMotel

TwoHourMotel Well-Known Member

I think globalization and the internet is pushing the world towards a unified global society. I personally believe that a global society is the best thing that can happen to humanity, imagine no borders or hatred between neighbors. This is a long time away though, and I don't think well see a true global society in our lifetimes.

4. TheImperial

TheImperial Well-Known Member

On paper.

What gathers people? An external threat. Just look at history. People start working together only when they have a common enemy. In order to unite whole humanity we need a threat. A real threat such as proof of existing of aliens, asteroid attack, etc. Without that I really doubt globalisation will ever be finished. Again look at history. When the threat presents everyone becomes extremely cooperative and without it parts of one system start to fall apart.

5. KungFuNerdNinja

KungFuNerdNinja Well-Known Member

People work together when they have a common goal. It does not require a threat or enemy.

6. TheImperial

Other goals are not even close in terms of motivation to work together and most likely are not capable to keep a lot of different people united.

7. KungFuNerdNinja

KungFuNerdNinja Well-Known Member

I'd like to know how you quantify that.

8. -psycho

-psycho Well-Known Member

I don't think I'd be seeing that. Well, not as how some humans are. As long as humans have bad motives, such as hatred and envy towards others.

9. GuriPSYCO

GuriPSYCO Well-Known Member

How about Linux?

10. TheImperial

Look at history.

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Wut?

11. GuriPSYCO

Free software made by programmers around the world with no particular emergency and no financial gain behind it.

12. Seethe

Seethe Banned

Impossible due to the tribal nature of humanity.

13. GuriPSYCO

I don't think nature is much of a problem as we have consistently evolved over nature. We don't beat the hell out of women and children any more. Considering how height and IQ evolved through the past few millennia, I'd say we are evolution's fastest pace.

14. TheImperial

What software engineering has to do with globalisation? No sense.

Also people do this for free to get experience and learn stuff, not because they are philanthropists.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

>implying average IQ is rising today

15. GuriPSYCO

Well, you said, that aside from outer threats, people weren't motivated to work together and they weren't able to work together. Then I mentioned Linux as an example of both. It's the paramount of software globalization because it has General Public License, which means anyone can mess around with it.

Have you read about Linux history?

It depends on how you look at it. We certainly are way more intelligent than people living 2000 years ago, but there is an IQ drop on the last ten years. I dare say it's just a fluctuation.

Anyway, we are bound to reach a point where we can be pretty much self reliant when it comes to resources, and armed enough to remember other countries - read, America - to keep away. There will be peace based on the fear of the war and after sometime the bellic behavior will be a relic. (Boy, do I love rhymes)

16. abdo123

abdo123 Banned

i would like to unify the world , but not under the American "New World Order" or the Rulership of the one Communal Layer .

17. 5chneemensch

5chneemensch Well-Known Member

The average IQ cannot drop. The average is allways 100 when talking about IQ. :cat:

True world peace is not attainable aslong as nature itself exists. Every species on the planet competes with itself, wanting to evolve into a stronger being. This does not exclude humanity, in which the competition turned from having a healthy body and/or being smarter to having more cash (or "stuff" for that matter) than the opposition.

True communism atleast could negate the cash part. But true communism cannot be attained aslong as the money competition exists. we are in a deadly spiral. :cat:

18. Lithary

Lithary Well-Known Member

Not until I rule the world.

19. Kikut

Kikut Well-Known Member

Well, I don't consider this as possible, ever. There will ALWAYS be someone destructive towards society, someone mischievous, treacherous, manipulative, lusting for power. I don't believe you can eliminate selfishness from people.

MAYBE if whole society (and I mean every single person) was raisen in such way, that had never experienced evil from others, then maybe it would work. But then again, it's utopia, so I'm pretty sure, World Peace won't ever happen.

20. CultOfNeurisis

CultOfNeurisis Well-Known Member

IQ is a terrible way of measuring intelligence, it is not applicable in debates in my opinion.

@Kikut and all talking about our nature
    10,000 years ago we were able to live in a utopian style, everyone cared about the greater good, and if you started getting selfish or power hungry, you were punished by the rest of the community.
    The big difference on how that shifted is this:
    Those communities were much much smaller, they had no contact with other communities around the world, they weren't connected to everywhere else via internet.
    Since those 3 things have become present, we have not achieved such utopian styles of living, but if we are discussing our nature, it is surely part of us to have a good society.