How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Discussion in 'DotA Chat' started by hell911, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hell911

hell911 Well-Known Member

what if i downloaded the dota 2 through steam in PC 1, how can i transfer it to PC 2 without downloading again?
  2. -Fs-Kev

-Fs-Kev Well-Known Member

Lol, you don't know?

Newton's first law states that an object in motion wants to stay in motion.

So, throw your first PC at your second one. The first PC will stop moving upon contact, but the files in it will continue moving, according to Newton's first law. The files will then travel out of the first PC and into the second PC.

But be careful, if you don't throw it hard enough, the files will not penetrate through the PC, and will remain stuck inside forever. And even worse, if you throw it JUST A BIT less than you should, the files will penetrate out of the first PC, but will NOT be able to enter the second one, since the files will lose some energy going out of the first PC. In this case, the files will be lost, and you'll never be able to play the game anymore.

And of course, in that case you'll give me your key (since you can't use it anymore) and I'll sell it since I already have one.

It's okay, you'll learn it soon enough if you stay in school! ;)
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

ALL_CAPS_GUY Well-Known Member

It's connected to your steam account.
    Not PC.

You'll be able to use it on all PC's.
  4. Clerono

Clerono Well-Known Member

Go to Library on steam, right click Dota 2. Go to Backup game files, make sure that only Dota 2 is checked. Click next, select the directory, and when asked for size make sure you write down a size that gives you 1 file. That file can then be carried in an usb or dvd.

Once you get to the new pc, install steam normally, log your account, and you should see Dota 2 in your games, but wont show as installed. To the top menu, click Steam, "Backup and restore games", select directory, wait a few minutes, and its done.
  5. -Fs-Kev

Pshh, stop lying to him. The way that I speak of this the one and only way!
  6. -ImBa.Niao-

-ImBa.Niao- Well-Known Member

get a new key on new pc :D
  7. ringbearer

ringbearer Well-Known Member

Transfer the local content from your Steam account folder.
  8. Clerono

That might also work, but I had experiences in the past where some of my games became corrupted, and forced me to either download the whole game, or a few files. Either way, its not 100% secure that it will work.
  9. ringbearer

ringbearer Well-Known Member

You can simply fix that by verifying the game content through steam. Always has worked for me thus farm.
  10. Clerono

Yep, verifying will fix it most of the time, but I had to redownload Sanctum and half of Bad Company 2 because of this issue :<
  11. EraserheadX

EraserheadX Member

will this work for another account?

Eg let's say someone gets in the beta and gives one invite to a friend. Can you download the game, back up the files and then give them to your friend so he doesn't have to download it also?
  12. Boss_Kobra

Boss_Kobra Banned

I tried to do this for a friend with TF2 and it didn't work. But maybe I just did something wrong?
  13. dezshiz

dezshiz Well-Known Member

Yes you can, as long as you get the correct folders. BUT he must have bought the game already.
  14. DiesIrae

DiesIrae Well-Known Member

You sir win 10 internets.
  15. -Fs-Kev

16. StraY_WolF

StraY_WolF Well-Known Member

I bet you were waiting for that.
  17. -Fs-Kev

Loool! Not really, but I remembered it when I was thinking of what to post ;)
  18. jobzsinz

jobzsinz Well-Known Member

yeah u have to download again
  19. StraY_WolF

StraY_WolF Well-Known Member

Stop lying (and ks). Read the thread again you troll.
  20. DotA2King

DotA2King Well-Known Member

just download it again.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.