How to save replays in dota 2 - SAVE! Not download

Discussion in 'DotA Chat' started by BlackPaw, Mar 30, 2012.

1. BlackPaw

BlackPaw Well-Known Member

So you played a game - how do you save the replay to hdd.

I know its possible to find your replay and DOWNLOAD it (ie save it). But some are unavailable.

So how do you save replays!@!#? - An offline method after game - like in WAR3?

And i know the record name1 - thing - but that is not a replay!

2. pilz

pilz Well-Known Member

Re: How to save replays in dota 2 - SAVE! Not down

It's available under recent games. You can watch it there. The curse of modern "cloud" gaming. Forget trying to get things on your harddrive. If they wanna shut it down, it's gone forever.

3. Yoshi-

Yoshi- Banned

You can't save replays. Since you never know what actually happens in the game. You only have the informations about your visual things and not about the fog. You can locally create a replay

4. Manlybug

Manlybug Well-Known Member

Until they release LAN version of the game, and they will, we won't be able to save replays.

Only they have the "server.exe" that knows everything.

5. Yoshi-

Yoshi- Banned

Even then you won't be able to save replays unless you are the host or an obs

6. Manlybug

Manlybug Well-Known Member

OMG, you are right. Only host will be able to save replays.
    Well you get 100% maphack free games. I am good with that.

7. BlackPaw

BlackPaw Well-Known Member

Yes but replays with leaver - are not saved. They are not even in your game history. And some 4vs4 games are pretty epic!

8. Nkrck

Nkrck Well-Known Member

I just had an epic 1v1 controlling all 5 heroes, it seems the itnernet has gone down in russia and 8 players dced at the same time.

9. Mentalcheez

Mentalcheez Active Member

Really? I've checked My Dota User Profile > Game History, but when i click any of the games, they're ALL unavailable. Any insight?

10. KuroNeko

KuroNeko Moderator

It's sad really. I had 2 games with some especially amazing sunstrikes (for example, on a shukuchi'ing weaver in some obscure direction), that wasn't saved since someone ragequit. Games should be saved regardless of who leaves, damn it.

11. PuGn4.A

PuGn4.A Well-Known Member

Help i have the same problem :( i wanted to watch an epic armlet juke which i made but the replay is unavailable. when i checked if it was just a coincidence it appears that somehow all of my replays are unavailable :shock: :angry::shock::shock:

12. HELLRAISER

HELLRAISER Well-Known Member

I dont remeber how much time they are being saved i think its 1-2 months. Anyway the replay system is bullshit. I really want ALL my replays being saved on my HDD.

13. z10

z10 Well-Known Member

You can't save them, because you don't receive all necessary data for the replay when playing (game runs server-sided, cheat protection).
    It might be possible in LAN-mode later on, but maybe only for the host, as someone here already pointed out.

14. xpforever

xpforever Well-Known Member

Your post doesn't make sense. Downloading the replay IS saving the replay.

15. мusịĸ

мusịĸ Well-Known Member

>An offline method

16. xpforever

xpforever Well-Known Member

You're saving the replay to your hard drive. How much more offline do you want?

17. burningsera

burningsera Well-Known Member

use console:
    Type playdemo replays\Replay name
    Example : "playdemo replays\207710"

you can actually watch it 'offline' iirc.

18. Frost

Frost Well-Known Member

All the information is processed from the server (unlike war3 whereas it's processed from the host/clients) that's why maphacks are pretty much impossible in dota2 and saving replays from the clientside is not possible because information outside the fog of war is not sent to you. This is why you have to download each replay from the server and can't process t from your pc.

And believe me, dota2 replays are so large if they auto save to your hdd every game you'll run out of space very quickly.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  19. burningsera

burningsera Well-Known Member

what, no, the replays you downloaded is in your local folder:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\replays

you can manage your replays there. In fact, due to the replays will be deleted after 1month/30days so everyone should have their replays saved if they wanna keep the specific replays.

20. KuroNeko

KuroNeko Moderator

More than anything I wish Valve would pioritize optimizing the replay/spectation systems. That means automatic downloading, replays always available (sucks when something epic happened but SORRY it's not available), being able to view and manage your replays from within the game client, the option to enable fog, etc.