How to counter Balanar?

Discussion in 'Game Strategy' started by syNth, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syNth

syNth Well-Known Member

This Saturday I'm having a 3 versus 3 game with a friends. One of them on the opposing team has been talking about using Balanar. Now it's not his imba attack/movespeed or Void, it's his silence I'm so worried about not to mention the 40% miss chance. Now I know all of you must be thinking disables and stuff (we're going for a disabler strategy by the way), but he would just sneak behind at night and silence our main disabler. That would be a lot of pain in the ass.

I'm thinking of playing Nerubian Assassin because that's the only hero I can think of at the moment. Now I have to decide what heroes my teammates should be playing in order to win this match.

So, any thoughts? Counter heroes?
  2. DrDragun

DrDragun Well-Known Member

Balanar is powerful in 3v3. Wait for him to use Void, then use your TP scroll to escape. His fear doesn't block item usage. Invest in wards and don't fight him out on the open map if possible.

Check with the mechanics guys; Abaddon's shield may remove fear, I forget. If not then Omni's repel definitely will.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  3. pipser

pipser Well-Known Member

Rasta, naix, hmm doom?
  4. HappyCat

HappyCat Well-Known Member

Make his laning life shit. NS absolutely needs solo mid for the rune and quick exp advantage, but his lane control is non existant barring last hitting with Void. Pick someone strong like Tinker/SF and make sure he can't farm a single creep during the first day. This has a great multiplier effect since his first night will be adversely affected, and it is during the first night that Balanar is at his strongest.

Wards are good too to deny his hp/mana regen from Bottle especially since he tower dives a lot.

NA is a really good soft counter. NS isn't exactly the smartest hero around. A Necronomicon helps too since they can also scout where he is hiding. Off the top of my head other good counters include LoA for his debuff removing Shield or even Omni for Repel. Or since it's a 3v3 pray they lack aoe, pick Brood and push down his towers mid lane.

Anyways, I'd be glad they picked NS instead of Bloodseeker for silencing.
  5. syNth

syNth Well-Known Member

We could work with any hero actually, it's just that at night he would be abusing his silence and render an important hero of ours useless.

But Doom sounds viable, it's just a matter who silences who first. Thanks for the suggestion pipser :)

EDIT: Thanks for the tip, HappyCat. I wouldn't worry about mid/late game if we reach it without any problems, but it's the early game that worries me the most. Omni could work if only he is not silenced first or he has adequate mana; which he does not at early game.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  6. m0by

m0by Well-Known Member

rofl guys.. Any setup can pwn balanar.. Just pwn him early game.
    If its a 3 lane 3v3 game, get viper / silencer / chantress..
    You will really assrape them early game, and if they leave their lanes to gank, you will get crazy free farm.
    Just pwn the Lasthits / denies, and you will easy win midgame, and lategame because of item advantage.. In Dota You can't really counter anyone with heroes, its more about the grind and the items... i hate the fact that heroes can counter eachother.. so sad..
    get your early games and pwn them..
  7. IAmTheSpoon

IAmTheSpoon Well-Known Member

Anyone who can make his early game suck.
    Any disabler/stunner before he gets BKB.
    TP scroll. Pwnt.
  8. syNth

syNth Well-Known Member

I've played Balanar a lot and I know what it his early game is. Stay way back during the first day, only farming with Void and the occasional last hits. But that doesn't matter, as long as he is able to farm up boots and a couple of bracers before night comes, he could own in the night with his void and silence.

The only thing that bothers me the most is the fact that he could render our most important hero useless for up to 8 seconds.
  9. doomsheep

doomsheep Well-Known Member

10. Treant

Treant Well-Known Member

^ That.

Just like anyone else here, make his laning life a hell. And since when Guinsoo can be silence?
  11. syNth

syNth Well-Known Member

I don't think acquiring Guinsoo at early game is possible. Just like I said, I'm only worried about early game here, where clickable items are rare and the skills of the heroes are prominent.
  12. doomsheep

doomsheep Well-Known Member

viper, vengeful, rexxar, sf.
  13. DrDragun

DrDragun Well-Known Member

If he's solo mid then he can use the hill to hide+void hit creeps and tower hug. Kind of plays like mortred. Crappy, but enough to survive even against a viper, and if you pull a man in to gank him then another lane is free farming. Still if you limit his farm enough and he sucks enough first night, then he is basically out of the game.
  14. pipser

pipser Well-Known Member

Thats why dota is 5v5, not 3v3.
  15. syNth

syNth Well-Known Member

Loads of 4v4, 3v3, 2v2, and 1v1 official tourneys out there.
  16. hajasmarci

hajasmarci Well-Known Member

Broodmother? :)
  17. MurazorOFAngmar

MurazorOFAngmar Well-Known Member

Any kind of disable will screw him over big time. also try Viper if it's a 3v3, the slow and DpS from him should really bother Balanar.
  18. mrmemories

mrmemories Well-Known Member

Omniknight. use repel before he slience you.
  19. ian

ian Well-Known Member

naix would raaaape him.
  20. Fettkuken

Fettkuken Well-Known Member

The silence isn't really a problem if you just throw the most important spells first, and he really should have problems running to silence your main caster if he stays abit behind a couple of disable heroes like Atropos.
    Say you pick Atropos, Broodmother and Crixalis. If he silences Broodmother, Brood can't use his ulti or nuke, but both Atropos can easily keep Bala under controll with sleep and then Crix can Epicenter, so when Balanar wakes up he has a epicenter on his ass + Broodmother is unsilenced. If he silences Atropos, Brood and Crix can still take out one of them while Atropos is silenced because of the lifesteal and stun/epi, and Atropos can later sleep one and ulti another so you isolate them nicely. Lastly, silence Crix and Atropos can again just sleep Balanar or another hero while Crix waits to be "unsilenced" + Brood can wreak havoc.

Also remember that the silence is quite short in the early lvls, so it won't be very effective untill lvl 9+ if he wants to max void and nightstalker.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.