[Help] PC for DotA 2

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech' started by KekoooVA, Aug 16, 2012.

1. KekoooVA

KekoooVA Active Member

Hello folks, i'm argentinian and my sister is in Miami right now, i asked her to buy a PC for me since prices are ~50% lower than the ones here.

The question is: is this PC good for playing DotA 2 in HD and Ultra settings?

The options are that one, or changing the processor and motherboard for a FX Bulldozer 6100 and a 970 chipset motherboard. That would be around $480.

But since the sale has a nice discount i'd like to know if it's worth it.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Alcoholic_panda

Alcoholic_panda Well-Known Member

I'm Argentinian also, and honestly, that PC is THE shit, is so awesome I wanna cry, I have an Athlon II x2 7750be(The new kuma), with 2 gigs ram, an IDE 7200rpm hard disk and a 8600 GT.

I hope sincerely that you enjoy your PC.
  3. Slyfox101

Slyfox101 Well-Known Member

Yes, you will be fine.

More than you need in that package for just DotA 2, but it's a good streamlined gaming PC that should last you at least a couple of years.

Go for it, great price.
  4. YoTengoUnLCD

YoTengoUnLCD Well-Known Member

Yo, posting for the sake of being Argentinian.

Bulldozer processors are pretty subpar, they consume a lot of energy and their results are unimpressive, go for either a Phenom X4 or an I5.

My specs are:
    1090T @ 3.65ghz
    4Gigs ddr3 ram @ 1800mhz

It plays Dota2 just fine at max graphics, it sometimes lags.
    If I were you, I'd go for the I5 configuration as it is considerably better at games than phenom processors.

Hope I helped.

E: forgot to add, I play at a 1600x1200 res, with max graphics.
    Getting an average of 50fps
  5. SlamBam

SlamBam Well-Known Member

Good specs for a great price, it should be able to run Dota 2 at the highest graphics settings, giving you an average of 60 FPS
  6. KekoooVA

KekoooVA Active Member

thanks to all.

i know i could get a much better pc, but that price is like... impossible to match.

my main concern is the 760G chipset. i don't really know what it does but everyone says it's important.

spanish: esa pc está como $1.300.- me faltaría la fuente y el gabinete nomás. ah y un ventiladorcito :)
  7. FreeBorN

FreeBorN Well-Known Member

I have an AMD Phenom II x4 955
    I suggest you buy this cooler: ArcticFreezer 13 Pro
    The stock cooler for AMD Phenom II 9xx just goes crazy loud when you play Dota 2.

If you get this cooler it's very important to place it with one exact move and fix it with the screws. If you jerk around too much the thermal paste can get to thin or air can go under it drastically reducing heat conduction.

Furthermore My 955 stock 3,2GHz can be OC-ed with the following settings:
    1.3875 Volts, 203 Ref clcok, 19,5X multipiler = 3965Mhz~ 3,96GHz
    Does not heat over 53-54 °C while playing Dota2 if my PC is taken out from the desk and the sides are taken off. But if you wanna OC get the ArcticFreezer Pro! DONT TRY TO OC WITH STOCK COOLER!
    Oc-ing the CPU gives me an increase in fps from 65-95 to 85-120

If you want constant 120 fps with the current Dota2 go for a Corei5 2300 or better.

Also I have a GTX 560 Ti And I'm using 16x aniso + 8 AA and the card can still deal with the game, the only limitation for me is the CPU.
    So a 550 Ti may perform somewhat weaker but you should be fine by not using AA.

Oh and if you use AA, use it from NVidia control panel, Dota2's inbuilt AA sucks balls, it makes the game blurry as hell.
  8. Denisgsv

Denisgsv Well-Known Member

mate ... wanted just to say its out of stock :( shit happens
  9. WorstInFinLand

WorstInFinLand Well-Known Member

Dota 2 has capped fps at 60, unless there is a console command to change it.
  10. quze

quze Well-Known Member

This PC is more than enough to run Dota 2 at high settings at 60+ fps. And don't listen to others who say that this CPU is weak, i'm playing on a rig built in 2006 new graphics card bought recently and i'm getting fps around 110 in lane and in teamfights it drops to 50 fps. Everything at high 1920x1080 resoliution.

>>WorstInFinLand if you turn vsync off in video options menu fps cap will be raised to 120 fps.
  11. DaNTe_0101

DaNTe_0101 Well-Known Member

yes you will be fine running dota 2, but you'll not enjoy MUCH in game probably
    just my xperience bro
  12. Mtndew

Mtndew Well-Known Member

The 550 is a pretty weak card, you can google benchmarks at your own discretion. I would definitely recommend upgrading to the am3+, it's just tits for gaming. Will you be able to run Dota2 flawlessly? Yes, unless you have terrible Internet. Just don't expect to play more demanding games on ultra (but you'll be fine on high with the hardcore stuff turned down/off) like BF3, witcher2, skyrim heavily modded, etc.

But the glorious thing about computer gaming is you can always upgrade down the road and the am3+ CPU and mobo will allow you to do that without bottlenecks.
  13. InvokerofTime

InvokerofTime Forum Manager

yes but for the price.....
  14. KekoooVA

KekoooVA Active Member

15. Foede

Foede Forum Manager

Moved to Gadgets+Tech.
  16. fr0zenknife

fr0zenknife Well-Known Member

Do you know what Vsync does?
  17. SmellyJelly

SmellyJelly Well-Known Member

He's semi-right though. But your correct too.

All source games had default fps cap 60-72 , to remove it (unless vsync is on fps_max 999)
  18. KekoooVA

KekoooVA Active Member

i finally got:

mobo m5a97 asus (970 chipset)
    proc amd fx 6100 black edition (?)
    graphics msi R6670 1gb gddr5
    psu thermaltake 750w bronze
    ram 2x4gb vengeance (corsair) ddr3
    hdd western digital caviar blue 500gb

i think it will run dota2 and wow in ultra at +60fps, maybe i'll have to lower graphics on raids and high populated areas.

and it *hurt* $575.-

can wait for her to get home lol
  19. ChildLikEmperor

ChildLikEmperor Administrator

AMD processor... ouch. No matter how much you paid you could have gotten better value from an intel chip :(
  20. KekoooVA

KekoooVA Active Member

well... i gathered tons of information on this matter. looks like intel processors are better, but more costly, and in cost/benefit, amd looks way better.
    for the price ($130.-) i could have got an i3-2100, i3-2120, i3-2105, i3-550. or, for $20 more, an i3-2125...

i really think that the fx-6100 is way better than all those.

what do you say?