"God Is Dead" - A simple debate about life

Discussion in 'Debate Forum' started by Ryugo, Sep 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryugo

Ryugo Well-Known Member

First of all, two things must be said as an unusual prelude:

1. No, I am not having suicidal thoughts;
    2. No, I will not dive deep into nihilism - this is mainly because I don't really remember what its philosophy wanted to pass on.

I doubt some will really understand why I am doing this, but if you're in, it is because it was your own damn choice to read. The next paragraphs wouldn't be necessary if I really knew with who I am talking to, but, oh well.

Jump to the end if you want tl;dr.

Dear readers, consider this scenario. There is no entity from a higher plane that found it interesting to create life or that created it accidentally. Not only the human life, but the life of the smallest, of simplest design, bacteria is nothing but a huge, abnormal coincidence. Human life does not differ from the life of any other creature, except, maybe, for the different levels of consciousness and biological complexity. Thus, revealing that each one of us is nothing but a speck of dust, in an absolutely huge and majorly undiscovered and puzzling universe, whose ability of comprehension
    is just a weapon that was, somehow, able to develop itself through millenia, just to be able to drag its own existence for a longer period of time.

In such scenario, every action you make is not even a knot on the fabric of time and space, but, of course, we should not exaggerate and claim the universe. Just stick to this planet, as we've been doing as a species since ancient times.

You are really just one of 7 billion humans. You were born in a system that was there even before you could exist. You live in it. As one of 7 billion humans, you have a chance to be someone notable in this system, but there's also a chance to be no one throughout your whole life, except to some people - or just to some animals.

With just this one true rule that is Peaceful Coexistence,

***​

What motivates you to live?

A feeling?
    A dream?
    An obligation?

Please, share with me your motivations.
    Every comment, even simple phrases, will be appreciated.

2. little_gizka

little_gizka Well-Known Member

To me, our lives are pointless and meaningless in the grand scheme of the universe. You shouldn't try to get anything out of your life but happiness, because it's a short, short ride and you might as well enjoy it.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have ambition. Completing goals makes lots of people happy. What's important is discovering what makes you happy. Don't kill yourself getting into a career you won't enjoy just because you think it's expected of you. If you'd be happy flipping burgers and living modestly - do that instead.

3. Ryugo

Ryugo Well-Known Member

First, I will thank you, gizka. Now, let me comment on that.

True. You raised a good point with enjoyment of life. That is too, one of the reasons I find life worthwhile - the other ones being my ambitions and curiosity. But, girl, I don't think there are too many people currently flipping burguers that enjoy it, but use it as a ladder to get to the next level. But, even here, your argument is good, don't just do it because you think it is expected of you.

Nice words.

4. RockGolem

RockGolem Well-Known Member

I live to serve God, and to help others.

Experiencing life while doing this should be pleasant..

5. CAFO

CAFO Well-Known Member

While it sets some perspective, I think looking at the "grand scheme of things" is often just a pointless distraction due to a lack of ability to focus on relevant issues. If it is true that existence is without a higher power (and I believe it is), that means that we, as a tiny speck of dust, get to explore this macrocosm of existence one little section at a time, which is really awesome, but we must remember our limits while we do. People shouldn't allow themselves to be overwhelmed into inaction by a fact (the universe is supermassive) that has almost no actual impact on their life.

I believe that an objective moral code exists, and I try to live my life in enjoyment more than not. As far as I know, I've only one.

The core assumption that Ryugo spent the OP establishing is that there is no higher power. :cat:

6. LouieBot

LouieBot Banned

Aretē and eudaimonia.

7. Nicolas_Cage

Nicolas_Cage Well-Known Member

Meth and cocaine.

8. Ety

Ety Well-Known Member

You might be an insignificant and meaningless speck of dust in the vast cosmos, but then again is there a meaning to the cosmos at all? What's the point of its existence if there's no intelligent being to comprehend it? I've heard somewhere that consciousness is nothing more but a way for the universe to be aware of itself. And humans have been doing just that - exploring and discovering new things led by curiosity, through science.
    Still, most people just seek personal happiness and don't really care what's out there, which is fine. As long as they're happy.

In short, nothing really has a purpose. In comes down to what you want your purpose to be.

9. GoD_Tyr

GoD_Tyr Well-Known Member

I think that everything has a purpose. Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes we just don't see it, and that is why many people presume that everything is meaningless. Thinking 2 days ahead is poor life, why bother living anyway. Depraved of knowledge and wisdom, people do silly things and justify their acts with their own conclusions and ideas. There are like 1000 different versions on this Earth on how we became, why we are living and what will happen when we die. I just refuse to theorize and stick to simple facts: there is a higher force which orchestrated our lives and engineered whole living DNA. It`s THAT complex that there are no chances for it to be just pure coincidence and plain accident of nature.

10. ~Noxonius

~Noxonius Well-Known Member

What motivates me to live is to be the best person I can be.

11. CAFO

CAFO Well-Known Member

Source, please.

12. doomsheep

doomsheep Well-Known Member

my own greatness. if the answer was something else it wouldn't be worth bothering with.

13. GoD_Tyr

GoD_Tyr Well-Known Member

If you went to classes and studied biology or similar subjects, you should understand what I am talking about. I just think u do know but asking for detailed scientific explanation would undertake 5-10 minutes of Google roaming (http://bit.ly/1BLLpdk) There is no need for scientific source, its a fact without need of any further explanation.

AKA you don't need to search for God in heavens, just look at simple life things, their simplicity and yet marvelous perfection should answer you the question you asked for in topic.

14. RisaStoleMyHart

RisaStoleMyHart Well-Known Member

Biologically, my purpose of life is to have a child/children to ensure the survival of my bloodline. Socially, my purpose of life is to be a good person.

I'm an agnostic atheist. I don't believe there is a personal God that cares about you and wants to hear millions of prayers per second. This is because there are hundreds of denominations for just 1 popular religion, and each denomination's god will differ. It's like man made God in their image, not the other way around.

We live on earth and there is about 7 billion people. We haven't even explored all the other planets in our solar system for life forms. There are billions of stars and countless solar systems in our milky way galaxy. According to NASA, there are at least 100,000,000,000 galaxies in the universe. So there may be intelligent life somewhere beyond our scope, and the religious on Earth, a tiny speckle in ???, wants to believe that 'their' god created them in his plan, and humans are his favorite children. Nothing but human arrogance.

But i do believe that there might be celestial being, not any God of Earth obviously.

When you mature, you will understand that you're a nobody and not a significant person in some grand scheme. In psychology, we call this a personal fable. But do not despair. Find a nice husband/wife, and be a good samaritan.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  15. P1louxxx

P1louxxx Well-Known Member

The way you introduced that thread doesn't make it look like a debate, however I'll assume you came in here for serious answers only and make an exception.

Oh and you need to post debates in the debate subforum, not in World News.

OT:
    "Survival instinct, curiosity, the will to achieve great goals, making the world a better place, entertainment"
    All of those would be my motivations.

16. Ryugo

Ryugo Well-Known Member

I am glad you all joined the discussion, can't quote everyone on the cellphone to comment on each post, but I thank you all, at least.

Who would‘ve thought louie would say such a thing. I am impressed. xD
    I can‘t say there is a right answer, to begin with.

This is just a question that I have for some time now.
    Hm... It can be seen as such, but I can‘t avoid turning it into a discussion about humanity‘s raison d‘être. Nevertheless, I thank you for your enlightenment.

17. kidlat020

kidlat020 Banned

Is the universe created or just an accident?

if its an accident, then might as well claim that you're an accident yourself. then what's holding you back from raping your little sister?

if its created, then there's a purpose. there's a reason why you hold yourself from raping your little sister.

But if God is dead, then where's the corpse?

18. TwoHourMotel

TwoHourMotel Well-Known Member

False dichotomy. Who says it has to be an accident? Who says it couldn't be "created by accident"? There are other choices out there other than "created" or "accident".

I think we would be better off to say simply that we just don't know, and realistically speaking it makes no difference in your day to day life and your interactions with other human beings.

What holding me back from raping my little sister (hypothetically speaking of course, I have no such sister) is that I wouldn't be interested in raping her or any other human being because of empathy. I personally would not want to be raped, why would I do this to someone else?

Of course, outside of empathy, we live in a civilized world that has laws against this sort of discourse, so I wouldn't rape my sister also because I don't want to spend time in jail.

Nope. I don't believe in any god, yet I can logically and emotionally admit that I wouldn't want to rape my little sister either way. I think you saying that you would rape your little sister if god didn't create the universe really says more about you and your mentally than it ever does/did about me/non-believers.

You're taking it too literally.

19. Ryugo

Ryugo Well-Known Member

From my point of view, there's no problem on claiming your existence as an accident. Plus, as I already mentioned, if there's a reason for us being a society is the fact that we need each other - at levels we don't usually bother thinking about. Then, when a creature - not men, because this, too, can be applied to animals - recognizes the need for the other, it can choose between coercing or coexisting. We, as humans perceive the path to coexistence as the less dangerous for ourselves and that's why we prefer to respect our little sisters existence and don't rape them, because it may come back to ourselves in the future.

While I didn't want to overextend myself and properly including religion in all of this - c‘mon, I‘ve made that little story just to avoid it - the idea here is that there aren't any corpses, because gods are just ideas, from its very beginning.

I hope you don't mind my opinion.

And thanks for taking part in this discussion!

@TwoHourMotel: Thank you too. And yes, empathy should‘ve been brought up too.

20. little_gizka

little_gizka Well-Known Member

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. People that declare, "there must be a creator because life is so complex," have a severe lack of knowledge and understanding in biology, chemistry and physics. I can find many arguments for a higher being plausible, but this claim is simply uneducated.

Take for example the central dogma of molecular biology:

DNA
    :down:
    RNA
    :down:
    Protein

Proteins do everything for us. Someone that has a passing knowledge of biology may think that there is magic involved in the making and function of proteins. In fact, these processes are carried out by a variety of chemical and physical interactions. There was no designer - this is HOW the universe works. Did you know that amino acids and nucleotides will spontaneously polymerize under the right conditions? No magic involved - just science.

Now, you could argue, perhaps, that a god(s) invented the physical laws of this universe. This, I could buy. Saying that the complexity indicates a creator is a poor argument, however. Look deeper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.