God did not create Universe

Discussion in 'Debate Forum' started by Nerubaka, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Nerubaka

Nerubaka Well-Known Member

There is no place for God in theories on the creation of the Universe, Professor Stephen Hawking has said.

He had previously argued belief in a creator was not incompatible with science but in a new book, he concludes the Big Bang was an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics.

The Grand Design, part serialised in the Times, says there is no need to invoke God to set the Universe going.

"Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something," he concluded.
    'Planetary conditions'

In his new book, an extract of which appears in the Times, Britain's most famous physicist sets out to contest Sir Isaac Newton's belief that the universe must have been designed by God as it could not have sprung out of chaos.
    iting the 1992 discovery of a planet orbiting a star other than our Sun, he said: "That makes the coincidences of our planetary conditions - the single Sun, the lucky combination of Earth-Sun distance and solar mass - far less remarkable, and far less compelling as evidence that the Earth was carefully designed just to please us human beings."

He adds: "Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing.

"Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist.

"It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going."

The book was co-written by US physicist Leonard Mlodinow and is published on 9 September.

In his 1988 bestseller, A Brief History of Time, Prof Hawking appeared to accept the role of God in the creation of the Universe.

"If we discover a complete theory, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason - for then we should know the mind of God," he said.

BBC News (c)
  2. Shatterman

Shatterman Banned

Fuck, there is no god? Damnit. Seriously
  3. It's hard to prove that God doesn't exist, but it is also hard to prove otherwise.
  4. Mayor Adam West

Mayor Adam West Well-Known Member

I standby my own opinion that an onion is indeed an aphrodisiac.

seriously why make stupid threads like this...go to the world debate forum and discuss it the with all your hearts content, people here don't give a shit about the universe and religion.
  5. -Shahzal

-Shahzal Well-Known Member

Edit t: 2999 post biaaatch.
  6. kvv

kvv Well-Known Member

1. Implying that human beings are special in this universe.
    2. Who knows, maybe it is not necessary to invoke God to see what gave rise to the big bang. I hope it is not. It is far less exciting if it is. But even so, it does not prove or disprove the existence.
  7. Wivot

Wivot Administrator

Your better off suited here, you'll get to many ORLY's in RC.
  8. The Clown

The Clown Well-Known Member

I have utmost respect for Hawking, but until someone can reproduce in a lab the effects of this "spontaneous creation", I remain skeptical about the fact that something came out of nothing without some sort of trigger.

I do not advocate creationism and this can ultimately be described as self-creationism. I'm no physicist, but I think there's a pretty good chance the universe doesn't work like that.
  9. Punj.Love Hater

Punj.Love Hater Well-Known Member

There was a theory of some Historians considering So called Gods as Aliens. Now this theory is getting over attention due to half coding of VEDAS. Indian mythology proves that there are 640000000 Gods on Earth. Actually this was population of those guys who led humans to stablise on Earth. Check this new find out," sumerian civilaziation had a scripulture which detto looks like an astronaut with googles on.

Vedas calculated age of universe and earth at time they were written. All indian used to chant that big code as one of the Mantras but after coding it u know it that it is age of universe. Because sometime Information is more important then lives.

I want to provide some more proofs that there is nothing called God anywhere, it is just faith. But due to lack of time i cant share it with u guys.

Btw, i am great fan of Hawkings. I hot favourite concepts given by him are

1. Dark Energy
    2. Singualrity
  10. Ptolemi

Ptolemi Well-Known Member

I am a stout theologian and I believe God created the Universe.
  11. erzen

erzen Member

Thats why Stephen Hawking cant even move
  12. So we have telescopes that can discover unfathomable reaches of space and the stars, but we have no evidence of a guy with a beard sitting on a cloud. By this logic, I can tell you there is an invisible pig-monster standing right in front of you, and then I could say "You can't prove there isn't one!". Same concept.
  13. 103

103 Well-Known Member

old news is old:)
  14. Myself

Myself Well-Known Member

Resorting to the 'you can't see a guy with a beard on a cloud' argument is really juvenile.

The actual argument here is whether we choose to believe the universe sprang into being or if it was sprung. While the second option is pretty straightforward, bland and easy to accept the first one requires some intricate explaining. It must surely involve some complex laws, probability, chaos whatever that made it come to exist.

In all honesty the first option works well with an idea of a God for two reasons.
    One, an intelligent God wouldn't just pop something out of thin nothing without no reason so he 'wrote these laws' that will unfold everything in its place as wanted.
    Apart from this philosophical view we can just as easily as ourselves 'why do these laws exist, did they just spontaneously spring into being as well?'.

But in the end it doesn't matter. We live our lives, we'll never know, our successors will never know. We can always daydream about what if but there is no real way of knowing. Most religions while not inherently evil are corrupt. Most wannabe atheist-fags can be more annoying than the die-hard-religious-peeps. Whether you believe there is a reason to the entire existence of the Universe or if it just some matter that will eventually go cold and die is up to you. The only thing that matters is that you live your life to the fullest and that the last thing you feel on this life is happiness.

15. HoFfNiGgA

HoFfNiGgA Well-Known Member

If you would like to be like this let's see

What type of invisibility because recently a university discovered how to bend and reform light around an object so as to make it "invisible." Thus your logic is flawed in that sense because you could simply reform the light to where the object would be visible or view it in a different form of light.

How about alternate universe invisible?

Based on the theory that time is a river that is filled with forks and whirlpools you'd never be able to prove anything because time would change or "fork" when you changed your radio wave to reach another time thus making it completely different from the time you came from thus that pig wouldn't be there.

Arguing fallible logic is pathetic and you know it.

There is no way to prove the existence nor lack there of, of God.

Oh and no I don't believe in God I can just understand why others may choose to or believe that one does exist and defend their right to do so because you have no right to do otherwise.
  16. Unnamed_

Unnamed_ Banned

I don't think a debate is needed here.Sure believers will come here and strart praising their all-mighty, but they have no proof of what they're implying.

I think this was better off in RC, as a statement.Being here means that there is something to argue about.
  17. You missed the point. I'm not trying to have an intelligent debate, Im just trying to make religious tards angry.
  18. damN_Grave

damN_Grave Well-Known Member

And it all has to do with faith........or situation.
    And by situation, I mean:
    Selena Gomez is Catholic. If I meet her, I'm suddenly an altar server.
  19. supa_fly

supa_fly Well-Known Member

I really don't think any of Hawking's statements support atheist beliefs. It does provide a plausible solution to how the universe may have formed since it is often wondered how something could spawn from nothing, but creationists can just as easily flip that. I wish that he would have elaborated on, "Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing," though.

'Unfathomable' suggests that the universe does not have limits. I'm not sure if that's what you really meant but if it is, you're wrong. The universe actually does have ever-expanding "walls," that could possibly work as limits.

A lot of valuable insight here. Especially about people who continually reiterate the same recycled atheist garbage. I'm fine with people having their own beliefs, I'm even an atheist myself, but people waste so much time proving to others and themselves that there is no god. To quote a book I read a little while ago, "you atheists never stop mentioning God."
  20. Eliphas

Eliphas Well-Known Member

No it's not. Scientific Method guarantees us that. Something that can't be detected in any way simply doesn't exist.

It could be something spawned from nothing, or it could simply be a part of a never-ending cycle.