Drow feels really good right now

Discussion in 'Game Strategy' started by StrychIX, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrychIX

StrychIX Well-Known Member

Is it just me or does Drow feel better than ever? She's got a fair amount of small buffs like the turn rate one in the last patch on top of some new tools like Hurricane Pike, Raindrops, Aghs splinter-shot, etc. Maybe it's in some small and hard-to-quantify part due to nuke-heavy line-ups seemingly falling a bit out of favor with more preference being shown to tanky heroes and items (like Raindrops and Vanguards and what have you)... but for whatever reason Drow seems much easier to pick with great results in my pubs. Previously I'd feel like a bit of a masochist running this hero even though I've always liked her because of her team-oriented nature, but I don't even feel like she's married to Drow strats anymore even though that's obviously where she shines the most.

Now, I'm just a bad player and my opponents are bad so generally speaking if you can play your hero even a little bit above average you can rise above the counterpicks and lack of synergy with your teammates... but Drow seems to be picking up a little steam in the competitive scene too (obviously their Drow lineups are actually good though).

Here's some random observations that hopefully good players can affirm or correct:

* For me the new key item is Lance/Hurricane Pike. I can't imagine skipping an early Lance as Drow now. The stats are not only good but it gives her close to double the "effective range" (that is, range where her ult isn't being cancelled by someone standing too close). Pike might not be 100% needed in every game—although it's REALLY good in the games where it's good—but it's quickly becoming a comfort item for me. It feels like a very efficient way to re-position on a dime in fights and you can even sometimes use the active on opponents to turn the tables on them. Plus being able to hit towers while they can't hit you is great.

* It's probably just because I'm a dummy among dummies but Drow's workable surface area feels so huge with Lance. With a Lance, lvl.6, point(s) in Frost Arrows and Gust, Drow actually feels pretty threatening. Your range is almost as long as Gust... it seems like a lot of 3ks don't realize they can be easily killed from a pretty huge range if silenced.

* If I'm in a low pressure lane I max the aura to help the other lanes with one point in arrows and one point in silence. If it's a high-pressure lane I leave aura at one and put more points into whatever I think will help me fight better, arrows or the silence. Is this standard/recommended? Some games I feel like max Gust can be surprisingly good and most players don't seem to expect it at all.

* I prefer to run Drow mid now even though she doesn't seem like a great mid hero. I take her mid in hopes of getting a more reliable late game carry in the safelane and plus at this level most of the time mid gets as much or more farm as the safelane, even if you have to buy your own wards and Sentries to stay safe for Riki and BH players. Is this a pub-only thing or does Drow mid have real merit? One nice thing is that you can sneak Rosh pretty early and not many people expect Drow to do an earlyish solo Rosh. I even tried it without lifesteal in one of my last matches without lifesteal and it worked, although it was pretty close and had some other items.

* Aghs seems really good for pubstomping now with a Maelstrom. You farm and push insanely fast and if the enemy can't neutralize you ASAP in teamfights they get destroyed by lightning procs. In my games, if I get Maelstrom + Aghs between 20-25 minutes on top of Lance/Pike and some other small items like Treads + RoA or whatever I feel pretty unstoppable. Suddenly it's like the enemy is the one who has to watch their positioning in fights instead of me because if I find an opening for a multi-hero silence they're boned. It costs 7k gold for those items but I've found it to be super-worth the price if that's what you need—it's like having late game AoE damage in the mid game. The nice thing about Drow in low skill games is that you can almost always farm pretty fast with just lvl.6 even if you haven't had a good lane. Your high ground defense with Aghstrom is strong and it helps sieging since the splinter shot works on towers too.

* Is lifesteal overrated on this hero? I see high-level Drows getting HotD religiously as their first items but it doesn't seem that great at all to me. Yeah you get the utility of dominated creeps and easy stacking but Drow can't manhandle a big stack of Ancients like Sven can, and in a late game you'd probably sell it before spending on that money on a Satanic since she's just not a manfighter. You can lifesteal off split shot arrows but if I'm trying to teamwipe the enemy I'd rather just have more damage than give them the chance to close the gap at all. Is MoM better? I might still get Vlad's sometimes under very narrow circumstances but typically I don't want it if I'm position 1 or 2. Lifesteal does make solo Rosh much easier/less risky though, but it's not strictly needed for jungling, even early.

2. lucasho2312

lucasho2312 Well-Known Member

Nah its not about brackets. Drow is up there with Omni in terms of winrate. If I can pinpoint, her winrate increases since the reduced cast point of Gust.

Imo she wins by counterpicking rather than what you build on her. Agha Maelstrom is cheesy but your single target dmg isn't great. Her silence purnishes teamfight heroes pretty hard but you can pick Slark and kill her anytime.

3. StrychIX

Dang you're right! 56.20% winrate this month in 5k+ ranked. Only 3.94% pickrate though. Good observation about the Gust cast point being the first push for her... guess we'll see if that winrate holds if her pickrate increases. (Sometimes the monthlies for a hero in 5k+ look real promising but the winrates don't hold—Centaur a couple months ago was one example, although he's probably at least somewhat underrated atm.)

It would be interesting to see how a 5k+ Slark handles Drow or vice versa. Most Slark players in 3-4k just seem to pick him because they know he's supposed to be "easy MMR'' but they aren't experienced Slarks and always Pounce + Pact at the same time which leads to them getting killed by anyone who knows how Pact works... but I know from prior experience that an actual good Slark makes Drow's life a living hell. I don't know how I'd deal with a Slark who knew what he was doing as Drow. Maybe another mobility item like Lothar's or Blink, or maybe Eblade in the late game?

Aghstrom is def cheesy but the single-target damage output can still be pretty formidable. I itemized really poorly in one of my Drow games was relying entirely on Aghs + Mjollnir + consumed Moon Shard as my DPS at 70~ minutes and it was still enough to wipe the enemy team when they tried to go high ground on us due to their grouping too close... like I said, bad players but I think Aghstrom is the way to go in pubs if you can't win without taking fights. If you can't win early-mid game it seems pretty strong late game, especially if you want to get rid of illusions or summons.

Here's a game that I thought was interesting. Resolution went for his usual Drow build of HotD + Lance + Yasha but decided to switch to Pike + Aghstrom around the same time the game started to turn. A lot of that was w33 doing work as Storm but Drow became a lot more productive against TB after the lightning.

4. Kris

Kris Moderator

Pike is incredible at resetting your footing and slaying supports. Loving it on a lot of different heroes, especially against Jug/Ursa and other melee's which are fairly kiteable.

5. yui92

yui92 Well-Known Member

As long as her ult got reduced to nothing by a retarded mechanics, drow will never be good.

but if it makes you feel good about it, well, ok.

6. Kris

Kris Moderator

You probably play below 4k so games throw back and forth instead of ending in 18 minutes.

7. yui92

yui92 Well-Known Member

Yes yes in the recent qualifiers and majors i watched lots of drow games. picked and banned all the times. all successful. drow best hero confirmed.

8. StrychIX

I used to kinda feel that way but I've been on a roll since I started playing her again. Drow seems pretty legit.

9. Kris

Kris Moderator

Pubs and Comp have very different factors

10. yui92

yui92 Well-Known Member

let me tell you why. because the hero design by itself has been murdered.

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

of course dear. my winrate with drow has not drop to 0%. I still win a lots of games with drow.

but that doesnt mean the stupid nerf on her AGI is justified.

11. AvrilLabigne

AvrilLabigne Well-Known Member

Phase Boots + Basillius + Silver Edge + Sange Yasha + Monkey Bar.

Wait
    Use Gust
    Attack
    Phase yourself
    Anyone dies

12. jiggogamer

jiggogamer Well-Known Member

Imo it is the Comeback mechanics. Strong carries who die easily early profit so much from this meta. I just got outcarried by 4 carries, the kills were like 60 - 30 for us.

A year ago a 0-5 drow couldnt do anything late game. Now you are not fine anymore when you gank her or sniper. I am just a random pub player but early game suckers like drow are much better in this version than in the past.

And ofc also because the new items which were designed to make range carries better.

13. StrychIX

^Yeah I don't buy that. Drow is the kind of carry you'd pick to end fast against a quad-core line-up. She's not some late game powerhouse that takes a long time to come online. If you were claiming the gold changes were advantageous to someone like Spec who sucks in lane but can rake in AoE assist gold and scales superbly, I could see where you were coming from, but this is Drow we're talking about. Drow loses to real hard carries like Spec in the late game. If you're going to claim it's the gold changes play to Drow's advantage you have to substantiate that claim because it doesn't make sense.

Edit: Also I'd like to point out that even if you get Drow off to a crummy start in lane the mechanics of her ult make it easier for her catch up in farm that most carries so that she still has a chance at doing her job in the mid game. Probably a purposeful design element because she doesn't have too much going for her in the late game.

14. Kris

Kris Moderator

Anyone know this guys MMR?

15. yui92

yui92 Well-Known Member

She used to be a hard carry, back when her ult is actually a skill deserving to be an ult.

she is one of the worst carry now because of the stupid AOE removal nerf.

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

people need 6k mmr to know drow's current design is stupid?

wow. that's new.

16. StrychIX

Well, it ain't like that no more

Not only would she be a much more conceptually boring hero if her ult were just a big flat AGI boost but it seems pretty hard to argue that a pretty popular hero with a healthy winrate that's pickable in low and high skill games has a weak design. Just repeating "it's stupid" doesn't make it so...

17. yui92

yui92 Well-Known Member

the problem is, that "conceptually boring" hero is working well and not every hero has to be invoker or meepo or earth spirit.

Drow's current design is stupid and it has to be repeated because apparently that simple thing is so hard to be understood by so many.

18. StrychIX

If it's such a simple and self-evident point why aren't you able to meaningfully support it...?

19. Kris

Kris Moderator

No, but understanding what MMR you are would let me better understand what environment you play in.

20. yui92

yui92 Well-Known Member

now tell me what environment it is?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.