Dota2 overheating laptop?

Discussion in 'DotA Chat' started by Setsa, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Setsa

Setsa Well-Known Member

I'm running on a gateway nv79 (Gateway Support - Specifications) with no upgrades, and have been experiencing overheating problems when playing dota 2 and was wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar problem or if because dota2 is still in beta, is may just induce an overclocking of my system.
  2. 36398849

36398849 Member

Count Me On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Good Luck!!
  3. Pizis

Pizis Well-Known Member

Lower the settings ?
  4. Setsa

Setsa Well-Known Member

Already at the lowest res I can put it at. It helped a bit, but not much. Only adds about 8 minutes to the play time lol I was also wondering if this was mostly a laptop exclusive thing :/
  5. NoThlnG

NoThlnG Well-Known Member

Nope. I play using laptop and doesn't have any overheating problem.

Probably it's because either your graphic card not enough to run Dota 2 or you're over using it or you're laptop has some internal problem due to long-term usage.
  6. daemonu

daemonu Well-Known Member

This. Try buying a cooling pad, and download speedfan to check if it lowers the heat. :cool1:
  7. GodlyKha

GodlyKha Well-Known Member

Dota cannot induce overclocking of your system. technology does not have work like that
  8. next_kingdom

next_kingdom Member

just buy alienware laptop LOL :rofl:
  9. RanaXt

RanaXt Well-Known Member

blow with compressed air through your cooler. maybe there is too much dust etc. in it. worked with mine.
  10. easyemayne

easyemayne Well-Known Member

Invest in a laptop cooler,.
    Annoying but it helps
  11. quze

quze Well-Known Member

Clean your laptop, because it is full of dust and you probably never cleaned it before, because games do not overclock your laptop.
  12. Relliknuf

Relliknuf Well-Known Member

Yep, same here, I run dota with ~30 fps, need better pc I guess.

I tried using speedfan and at times it gets to the boiling point. That's not optimal I guess?
  13. Aderew

Aderew Well-Known Member

I totally agree with RenaXt, if your laptop is older than 1,5 - 2 years old then dust is your problem. You better clear it before your CPU melts like a cheese ^_^
  14. Cryzer

Cryzer Well-Known Member

Your laptop was not made for gaming so its normal for it to overheat after a while of gaming. You can help by cleaning your fans, buying a cooler pad or putting a small book below your laptop.

Also download HWinfo and run it on sensor only to see whats the max temp that your laptop reach after a long time of gaming.
  15. quze

quze Well-Known Member

You are wrong all laptops are made for gaming in mind, why do you think even intel is trying to get their vga more powerful, answer is simple for gaming. And what kind of engineer would design powerful laptop without proper cooling system.
  16. Jerubbaal

Jerubbaal Well-Known Member

Not sure if trolling, or just stupid. You tried playing Battlefield 3 on an Intel Integrated HD chip? Or tried render 3d models on a netbook?

To reiterate what others have said, try cleaning out dust, and buying a cooling pad. Or, if you're poor, just use an ice pack/TV dinner, but make sure to wrap it in something to keep the condensation off of your laptop.
  17. bugball

bugball Well-Known Member

yep I'm using a high tech asus, runs smoothly the first 5 mins and then bam, overheating and drop fps issue...

everything is high, because the laptop can run it, but no with that temperature..

My solution was to buy a cooling system for my laptop, BAM problem solved, 30 $ and i can run dota with all settings on MAX in my laptop
  18. hideinlight

hideinlight Well-Known Member

"And what kind of engineer would design powerful laptop without proper cooling system"

That's exactly what's not been happening the past few years, they've made laptops more powerful and no bothered with the cooling.
  19. fury7

fury7 Well-Known Member

Try playing dota2/modern warfare 3/skyrim on high setting while putting laptop on your lap. On my case, I am using an HP, and have fun as your lap starts to burn

Anyhow, is it even possible to have a gaming laptop that runs game full setting without even it being hot at all. I had no idea any laptop could do that. No idea...

Solution - like everyone say, buy a coolpad...and buy a GOOD ONE
  20. NoThlnG

NoThlnG Well-Known Member

For gaming =/= Can play some games.

Intel VGA is never meant for gaming. It's just able to handle some games.

And in case you don't know, Aero theme on windows 7 can't run properly without graphic card if you're not dumb enough, you'll get what I mean.