DotA characters in relation to Warcraft storyline

Discussion in 'DotA Chat' started by darkseraphim, May 26, 2010.

1. darkseraphim

darkseraphim Well-Known Member

I just want to discuss how some characters from DotA fit into the Warcraft universe. This has no gameplay value, nor any aesthetic value in-game, but it is nice to know this and say, "Aah, so that's who he is.." or "So that's why this happened..". Anyway, I'm going to start the discussion with a few of my favorite heroes. You can add your own info as well, so we can have healthy discussion regarding how each character fits into the world of Azeroth. and are my sources, by the way.

First up, [​IMG] Admiral Daelin Proudmoore: "Daelin Proudmoore was the "Lord Admiral" and king of Kul Tiras. As "Grand Admiral" of the Alliance, he was the supreme commander of the naval forces of the Alliance during the Second War. He was a staunch enemy of the Horde, refusing to believe that it could ever change its ways — he greatly hated the orcs and would have been more than willing to see them all dead. Eventually he was consumed by his own hatred, killed by the Horde led by Rexxar."

Knowing this, we can assume that these events have not yet come to pass in the DotA timeline, since both Proudmoore and Rexxar are well and alive, and are even allies as Sentinel! Daelin Proudmoore was, by the way the father of Jaina Proudmoore and her siblings.

Since I've mentioned [​IMG] Rexxar, I might as well have him up next.

"Rexxar, Champion of the Horde, is a half-ogre, half-orc beastmaster of the Mok'Nathal clan, and may be one of the last half-ogres of the clan. He saved the city of Orgrimmar from the hatred of an enemy of the Horde. He was instrumental in assisting the Horde after the fall of the Burning Legion. Due to his mixed lineage, he is a towering and massively muscled warrior, and he wields his two huge axes with tremendous skill and ferocity. Rexxar is always seen with his loyal bear companion Misha."

Well, in DotA, Rexxar has not yet acquired Misha, it seems, as he can only summon a scout hawk and a quillbeast. Also, as mentioned above, he has no enmity with Daelin Proudmoore in DotA.

Next up, [​IMG] Vol'jin.

"Vol'jin is the son and former apprentice of the troll witchdoctor Sen'jin, leader of the exiled Darkspear Tribe that lived on a small island chain in Stranglethorn Vale. During this time period, the Darkspear trolls were almost wiped out by a human invasion, as well as constant murloc raids. Only through the timely intervention of Thrall and the orcs did any trolls survive. Sen'jin died bravely on the islands trying to save his people. With Sen'jin's death, Vol'jin became chief shadow hunter for the tribe. In order to repay Thrall for saving his people, Vol'jin pledged his loyalty and service to the Horde."

None of this is mentioned in his DotA background story. Instead, he is portrayed as "a risk-taker", his experiments "unstable" and "destructive". From a brave Horde leader, he is given a dark twist in DotA.

Another Horde classic is [​IMG] Cairne Bloodhoof, the Tauren Chieftain.

"Cairne Bloodhoof is the Chief of the united tribes of the tauren, chieftain of the Bloodhoof, and leader of Thunder Bluff. Allying with the Horde upon its arrival on the shores of Kalimdor, Cairne stands today as one of its wisest and most venerated leaders. He wields the Bloodhoof Runespear. "

The Runespear is not mentioned in DotA, nor his accolades as Chieftain. Instead, Cairne is represented as merely becoming the renowned leader he was meant to be.

Of the High Elves, [​IMG] Alleria.

" Alleria Windrunner was the head scout of the Alliance Expedition to Draenor........ Alleria Windrunner is the eldest of the Windrunner sisters, all of whom have served Quel'Thalas and the Alliance with distinction. She also had a younger brother. Alleria always wore a necklace given to her by her parents, an exquisite piece containing an emerald, a ruby, and a sapphire...... After the damage that changed Draenor into Outland had been done, Alleria, Turalyon, Khadgar and the rest all returned to the orcs' homeworld. They set out to return to Honor Hold, which was still standing even after the chaos that had occurred on Draenor. However, although Khadgar, Danath Trollbane, and a few other heroes from this time are present in Outland, and players may interact with them, neither Alleria nor Turaylon are anywhere to be found, leaving their current whereabouts a mystery. "

None of this in the DotA story, instead it says that she "joined the Sentinel as a free agent shortly after the War of the Magi". Her disappearance has not been mentioned or has not happened yet.

From Azjol Nerub, [​IMG] Anub'arak.

"The former king of Azjol-Nerub, Anub'arak was among the nerubians slaughtered in the War of the Spider. One of his most loyal commanders was Anub'Rekhan. Ner'zhul the Lich King raised the high lords of the Spider Kingdom as undead to do his bidding, Anub'arak among them.

Now as a malicious crypt lord, he is forced to use his powers to purge the snow swept landscape of any remaining resistance to the reign of the Lich King. Despite the pleas from his former subjects, he has been ordered to massacre many nerubians who tried to oppose the undead. "

His DotA story is consistent with this one, though his kingdom over Azjol Nerub is omitted.

The Blood Elf, [​IMG] Kael.

"Kael'thas "Kael" Sunstrider was a senior member of the Kirin Tor and the Prince of Quel'Thalas, the last of the Sunstrider dynasty. After the fall of Quel'Thalas, Kael'thas led what remained of his people in the service of the Alliance. Striving to placate his people's addiction to magic, he later covertly allied with Illidan Stormrage and the Burning Legion. He was branded a traitor after his allegiance with the Legion was revealed. Kael'thas plotted to summon Kil'jaeden the Deceiver through the Sunwell, but his plans were foiled by the Shattered Sun Offensive. He was defeated by their forces in Magisters' Terrace."

The DotA version of his story is similar, yet it has no mention of his princehood in Quel'Thalas, his alliance with Illidan, or his membership with the Kirin Tor. It instead says that he served Ner'zhul and not Illidan.

The undead Lich, [​IMG] Kel'thuzad.

"Kel'Thuzad was the founder of the Cult of the Damned and one of the principal agents of the Lich King responsible for the spreading of the plague of undeath across Lordaeron.

Originally a human mage of the Kirin Tor, Kel'Thuzad was swayed under the influence of the Lich King. After bringing the plague to Lordaeron, he was slain by Arthas. Arthas (by then a death knight) resurrected him as a lich so he could summon Archimonde the Defiler into Azeroth. Following Arthas' departure for Northrend, Kel'Thuzad was left to command the Scourge of Lordaeron from his necropolis, Naxxramas. Following his first defeat, he and his necropolis moved to Northrend."

All that is mentioned of his origin in his DotA story is his ressurection. No mention of his alliance with Arthas, or any of the events he was responsible for in WC3.

From Nox.knight, [​IMG] Furion.

"Malfurion Stormrage is the greatest archdruid of all time, and one of the most powerful mortals in the Warcraft universe. He is the twin brother of Illidan Stormrage, and the beloved of Tyrande Whisperwind. Malfurion started the practice of druidism among the night elves under the tutelage of the demigod Cenarius. Following the conclusion of the War of the Ancients, he became the Archdruid of the night elves. Often he is called shan'do, meaning "honored teacher". However, some close friends occasionally tend to call him "Furion" or "Mal", the shortened versions of Malfurion. "

Those who have played the WC3 Campaigns know the part Furion played as the leader of the Night Elves. His DotA story also mentions the defeat of Archimonde, thought there was something that caught my attention. "The land is never safe. Furion, therefore, never rests. " is inconsistent with his current state, since after Archimonde's fall, he hibernated to a spirit world called the Emerald Dream, but got stuck and, with Cenarius, battled the so-called Nightmare. Ergo, Furion appears in DotA when he should be trapped in his dreamstate.

From DoomSlayers, [​IMG] Azgalor.

"Azgalor was once the lieutenant to the mighty demon-king Mannoroth. Following Mannoroth's death at the hands of the orc Grom Hellscream, Azgalor took it upon himself to direct the Burning Legion's ground forces at the Battle of Mount Hyjal. Though he isn't as clever as his former master, he has an aptitude for chaos and violence that is legendary even among demonkind.

Following his master's death, Azgalor took control of the Burning Legion's ground forces and accompanied Archimonde as he made his ascension up Mount Hyjal towards Nordrassil, the World Tree. After various attacks, Azgalor invaded but was repelled; after some time he began to attack alongside Rage Winterchill but was still held back.During the battle he attacked the human base with undead and demons in his army; he managed to separate a small force led by Broll Bearmantle from the main army as he and other powerful demons were attracted by the Idol of Remulos. Though Broll called to the deep earth to protect his force so that they could reintegrate to the rest of the army, in the end the pit lord overwhelmed him. As Broll fell, Azgalor used his two-bladed sword, Spite, to smash the Idol of Remulos, corrupting it and killing Broll's daughter, Anessa. But just as Azgalor and the Burning Legion thought they had achieved victory, Malfurion set loose his wisps which imploded the Tree and incinerated Archimonde"

Azgalor plays a part in the battle of Mount Hyjal, and since his DotA story says he landed in Kalimdor, this, I believe is consistent with the campaign.

If anyone has any ideas, opinions or more information, please share it here!
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
  2. Nox.knight

Nox.knight Well-Known Member

Re: DotA characters in relation to Warcraft storyl

You forgot Furion.

and also, DotA =/= war3lore.
  3. darkseraphim

I am not saying that that DotA lore and Warcraft lore are one and the same. I am simply explaining how things would look like if we affiliate DotA characters with their Warcraft counterparts. Also, why wouldn't you affiliate the two? DotA teems with Warcraft lore; locations (e.g., Winterspring - Alleria), events (Archimonde's defeat - Furion, War of the Magi - Crystalys), and characters, (Daelin Proudmoore, Kel'thuzad). Again, I am not saying DotA and Warcraft are on one line. I am saying that DotA and Warcraft are on two lines that intertwine constantly, yet never meet resolutely.
  4. killergeist7

killergeist7 Well-Known Member

I played story yesterday and saw Murloc is just a normal creep xD.
    And what bout Terrorblade? ;P
  5. DoomSlayers

DoomSlayers Well-Known Member

Azgalor (Pit Lord in DotA)
    "Azgalor is the fourth boss in the Battle for Mount Hyjal raid instance, preceded by the most difficult set of trash waves."
  6. Linism

Linism Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with DotA, but where does Sylvannas fit in with Alleria? Her younger sister? I did play WoW but I was too busy staring at Sylvie's undead boobies to listen to her backstory/chatter about it.

And what's this War of the Magi thing?
  7. Roseveld

Roseveld Well-Known Member

nice read, but I don't think any dota heroes could be related to the WC 3 story line
  8. darkseraphim

All of the heroes I mentioned appear in the WC3 storyline, except for Alleria, who appears in WC2. Please play campaign mode if you have any doubts.

Yes, Alleria is Sylvanas' older sister. There was another sister as well, Vereesa Windrunner. BTW, There are only brief mentions of Alleria in WoW. Alleria Windrunner is from WC2.
  9. Roseveld

I don't doubt you, you are missing my point.
    Yes some dota heroes are plucked from Warcraft 3 and used as models and name...because it's a warcraft scenario...
    But Dota has no relation to the whole warcraft storyline nor can Dota be placed in the timeline of warcraft.
  10. Lapis Lazuli

Lapis Lazuli Well-Known Member

It can be if you try
    Trying atm, successful imo
    However, u need to ignore WOW for my story to work
  11. darkseraphim

Well, that's not for us to say, but for Icefrog. While there's nothing that says specifically that DotA is in the same timeline as Warcraft, there's also nothing that says there isn't. Only master Ice knows. What I'm trying to say is that I'm describing how the two intertwine at times, and BTW, I think I do get your point. Sometimes people like to think of DotA in it's own universe and timeline, and it's easier that way. But then again some (like me) like to complicate our lives by analysing the connections between things. Blame me for watching The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons for days on end. LOL. Anyway, I'm just offering a glimpse of how things would look if we connect the dots. Agreed?

Now here's a question. The forests of Winterspring or Shadowmoon Valley are from Warcraft, right? If we make a DotA character then situate them into the aforementioned settings, are they DotA or Warcraft? Or say, Furion, who was responsible for bringing down Archimonde, according to his story (DotA and Warcraft), are you saying there's no relation, when the DotA story itself says that the Furion in DotA is one and the same with Malfurion Stormrage* of Warcraft?

*In case you didn't know, Malfurion Stormrage is also known as Mal, Shan'do and FURION

Though the information I got came from wowwiki, the events stated there are around the WC2 - WC3 - Frozen Throne timeline, more on WC3 - Frozen Throne. WoW happens quite a while after Frozen Throne.
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
  12. hajasmarci

hajasmarci Well-Known Member

rexxar became a champion bc he defeated proudmoore.
  13. darkseraphim

No he didn't. He already was a leader of the Horde even before he killed our good ol' captain.
  14. MonkeyEx

MonkeyEx Well-Known Member

tl'dr version?
  15. Roseveld

I agree it simpler to think of dota as it's own universe and timeline, however I just experience it that way to.
    I don't think it was meant to be very related to Warcraft but ofc only Icefrog knows this for 100% certain.

This might help for you:

The Origin of names and creatures in DotA - DotA Allstars Discussion
  16. lozarian

lozarian Well-Known Member

Maybe dota is furion's battle in the emerald dream.

And at one fell swoop all inconsistencies are solved with the "it's all a dream" get out of jail free card!
  17. darkseraphim

Excuse me? I didn't quite catch that.
  18. darkseraphim

19. Kaiverrettu

Kaiverrettu Well-Known Member

The first big wall of text after the hero name is mostly about his lore and character in wow/warcraft universe. If you wish to read only the connection with dota, read the smaller span of line below them, those were all quite short. :)
  20. refrag

refrag Well-Known Member

I'd love to hear it, cause I'm making up a story for almost every hero on my own (with the informations given by DotA, not from WC3).
    A full story of DotA, how the heroes came into the war would be just... Awesome!