Dota 2 Offline Mode

Discussion in 'DotA Chat' started by chigi1991, Oct 22, 2012.

1. chigi1991

chigi1991 New Member

I was wondering when we'll be able to play DotA 2 in the offline mode, I mean without the internet connection :mellow: !! Really looking forward to it !
  2. nerovergil

nerovergil Banned

not until all hero released
  3. Semi-Formal

Semi-Formal Well-Known Member

Maybe when they add LAN.
  4. jimmyvan

jimmyvan Well-Known Member

will never happen. even after LAN mode added, u still need to log in steam to play.
  5. Ari~

Ari~ Banned

Works for me...
  6. wesai

wesai Well-Known Member

When Valve makes LAN public and the game is released, you will be able to host all your games through LAN and play offline with bots or friends.

Don't quote me on this, though. But that is common sense given that it's Valve we are talking about. :p

You don't know how Steam works, do you? You can play games offline through Steam without internet connected.
  7. ChibiNya

ChibiNya Well-Known Member

I heard Blizzard was going to do this for SCII... And then uh.. You know ._.
  8. Gem_of_Trusight

Gem_of_Trusight Well-Known Member

Valve already said they were going to add lan, and valve are not a money hungry monster like blizzard.
  9. wesai

wesai Well-Known Member

Don't make the mistake of creating such high expectation for Blizzard games like I did. :eek:uch:

Valve, on the other hand, is not afraid of implementing LAN. They have done several interviews about this and said that they are not afraid of their games getting pirated. They know they offer a better service than any pirate could ever offer, so they know they won't lose their player-base.

Currently, as far as I know, Team Fortress 2 is getting Valve a lot of money, and it's basically their "cash-cow" as of now. Yet, TF2 offers and support LAN and off-line play.

When Dota 2 goes live, I don't think it will be too different. Let's just wait and see.
  10. PieFlavor

PieFlavor Well-Known Member

pirating a free to play game
  11. ZipFile

ZipFile Well-Known Member

It will be nice if D2 will be in lan and anybody can make some sort like a host-bot)
  12. wesai

wesai Well-Known Member

It happens, if the said "free-to-play" game has gone downhill, pirates can make their own server and even distribute cosmetics for free. But what about other Valve games that have LAN and aren't free-to-play?

TF2 and Dota 2 going on the free-to-play route is proof that Valve wants to offer a better service than pirates. They noticed that players want to invest in a game after they got attached to it or would rather pick a different game that is free. Hence, Valve knows how to handle pirates. If they are offering a triple A game that needs to be purchased, be sure that it will be cheap and will have a nice longevity due to updates (like Portal 2).
  13. KuroNeko

KuroNeko Moderator

I want to know why I can't play vs bots or in single player offline :/
  14. Night1301

Night1301 Well-Known Member

Hopefully you can run it in offline and go to LAN, and on that scenario, they will just disable the play/watch/customize and other online function.
  15. Gem_of_Trusight

Gem_of_Trusight Well-Known Member

Because dota 2 is still a closed beta and that would open piracy.
  16. RTSDealer

RTSDealer Well-Known Member

Dota 2 will not be as successful as DotA without LAN.

To become the biggest Lane Pushing Game (LPG), LAN is essential and Valve knows it.

So don't worry, there will be LAN.

It is a mark of a true eSport.
  17. gnasha13

gnasha13 New Member

Im really hoping for this to be possible by december this year...
    They have said that full release will be this year but this year is ending very quickly.
    The reason i say this is me and a few friends are going away after we finish school to a house out of the city and it has no internet access therefore it would be amazing if Dota2 were available offline with a LAN mode... I really dont want to have to buy internet for 7 days... :no:
  18. kuskos

kuskos Well-Known Member

well with the rate that they are porting heroes I'd say they are a bit behind schedule,

also: why don't you just enjoy the out of town trip away from the internet/dota 2?
  19. fullmetal_ne0

fullmetal_ne0 Well-Known Member

i think theyll be implementing LAN for this, especially that Icefrog is people-friendly and knows that this game is better played on LAN
  20. MikeFU

MikeFU Well-Known Member

in 2025 probably DotA 2 will the only choice is to wait...! :')