DoTA 2 - How to Practice with AI Bots (A Guide)

Discussion in 'DotA Chat' started by DyzaztyR, Dec 6, 2011.

1. DyzaztyR

DyzaztyR Well-Known Member

[Update] Edited text & uploaded new images for better understanding and upto date game options & settings.

Dear Fellows & Specially Newbies to DoTA2,

All new comers & other platform users you are Welcome to the epic world of DOTA2. This game is superb & old players are so good that they might not miss a single chance to rip your hero apart :rambo:

So you might be up with these conclusions

1. I am not familiar with DOTA2 mechanics. :mellow:
    3. I am good at DoTA 1 but I've not got used to DoTA2. :eek:n2long:
    3. I am a good HON/LOL player but this game is hard to understand. :eek:uch:
    4. I cant understand & remember each hero's spell. :ninja:
    5. I wanna practice so that one day I can bash some pro asses :cool1:

Question: How to overcome this situation?

ANSWER: Just go play some games with BOTS get used to this game & get back in action ;)

Question: You mean to say that the opponent and allied heroes controlled by Artificial Intelligence & computer runs them?

ANSWER: Yes you just have to worry about your hero. Pick your hero, understand it, understand map, understand items while playing the game with heroes controlled by the computer.

Question: HOW can I do it? How can i play with BOTS?

ANSWER: Just read the details.

1. After Launching DoTA2 through Steam. You will get the 'Main Menu Screen'. On main menu screen left click the third button from left which is 'PLAY'

[​IMG]

2. On the left side click the 2nd option given at left side menu, Click on 'Ceate Lobby' Button.

[​IMG]

3. Now on the right side, you have option and settings for your private lobby left click on 'EDIT SETTINGS' button.

[​IMG]

4. OK, you get into settings & options.

[​IMG]

5. OMG! what is this? Just calm down, Its ok, Its not that difficult to setup.

Firstly Choose a password if you want to play alone or with a couple of friends, they are good as you can play peacefully with bots.

Secondly you can give name to this game, for example John's Bot Game or My Bot Game.

Now click on 'GAME MODE', I Recommend to select 'ALL PICK' as recommended for you to pick a hero of your choice to practice with AI BOTS, also make sure you don't change the 'STARTING TEAM' option just leave it there with 'RANDOM'. as its not useful for us. It is for clan wars & professional gaming matches.

Now the most important thing is to know the 'SERVER LOCATION'. Choose the server which may work fine with your country & ISP. If you choose the wrong server you may experience Lag/Input Latency and certain freezes in game. If so then try other servers till you get the most fine server :)

[​IMG]

Now Click on the Check box of 'Fill empty slots with bots'.
    You can also check the box for spectators to watch you practice.

These are game mode options, but i recommend you to play on 'ALL PICK' mode as it will help you a lot understanding each hero.

[​IMG]

This option is for 'Captain's Draft' mode which is used for CW (Clan War) & professional gaming matches, so just leave it as it is. Dont change it.

[​IMG]

Choose the difficulty level of bots, if you are used to play this type of games then play normal or difficult mode, but if you are new to this genre of games, then you can play on lower levels also.

[​IMG]

Version relates to new release and new balance content, I recommend you to play on 'Latest' version.

[​IMG]

After all this left Click 'Save Settings' button. so that you may save game setup & get back to previous screen again.

[​IMG]

6. You are in lobby now, on left side of the screen connected users are shown, in the middle the team compositions is shown, on the right side its the game options display. Click on any slot to occupy it,

[​IMG]

7. No wonder you cant see a single bot on slot, but they will join you as soon as you pick your hero & get on to the map. Now just simply click the red button 'START'

[​IMG]

8. This is hero selection screen, on top there are players joined the game, on the left side of screen, hero icons are displayed, on the right side of the selected screen hero information is shown.

There are three type of heroes are here,

Strength Heroes: Good amount of health, good hit point regeneration, good spells.
    Agility Heroes: Good damage per attack, good Armor, good late game heroes, very deadly if gets farm & good items.
    Intelligence Heroes: Low hit point, great spells, needs mana a lot, very effective in team fights.

[​IMG]

9. Now I clicked on lich, i moved mouse curose over spell listed here to see what his spells do, then i decide to pick 'Lich', So I left clicked on 'Choose Lich' button.

[​IMG]

11. All right, Now you are in map with allied bot heroes gone to their lanes with items. You are gifted a free couriour by ICE FROG :rofl: and VALVE has placed a fat man selling you goods against gold :santa:

[​IMG]

FINAL WORDS:

Now you are there with practice mode, keep practising until you feel good enough to play in matchmaking, Please consider this that AI BOTS are not 100% replacement of human, they may make mistakes, they may not coordinate, but they might not be annoying as most of the humans :facepalm:

Just go practice as someone said

"Practice makes man perfect :cool1:

Looking forward for feedback, It will be good to spread this thread to new & existing players.

Wish you a very happing gaming experience :)

Regards

DyzaztyR
    (Zuhair)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  2. Mr. Burns

Mr. Burns Well-Known Member

Re: DoTA 2 - How to Practice with AI Bots (A Guide

Nice work. Really helpful for the newbies.

3. Cymen

Cymen Moderator

WOW
    I never knew that you had to explain people how to make a bot-game...
    and I never knew you could make it look so complicated XD

4. Nutsy

Nutsy Well-Known Member

Nice guide. Very clear, but I have a question:
    Is there an option to limit the number of players, or is it always 5 vs 5?

5. Ninja-x1

Ninja-x1 Member

Well done! It's very insightful and helpful to newcomers

6. DyzaztyR

Thanks you :)

Yes, sometime being understandable makes you complicated, No matter how complicated you appear but people must understand it clear without any doubt :)

Thanks for liking, Currently, you can not limit players, you got to play a 5v5 AI Bots game right now.

Thanks for liking :)

7. shxqsylb

shxqsylb Active Member

So complex.
    But also thx. It's really uncomfortable when I first logged in.

8. 77L

77L Well-Known Member

tnx dude...

9. Dota2BetaTester

Dota2BetaTester Well-Known Member

Thanks for this guide.

10. xxPegzxx

xxPegzxx Well-Known Member

cool guide.

11. DyzaztyR

yeah it happened to most of us :eek:uch:

Thanks 77L, Dota2BetaTester & xxPegzxx :)

12. Tomarzig

Tomarzig Well-Known Member

Good job.

13. Avalo

Avalo Well-Known Member

Very usefull! thx

14. DyzaztyR

15. -AbySs

-AbySs Well-Known Member

Nice work there. It can prove to be quite useful for newbies who are new to the game

16. nikeaddict

nikeaddict Well-Known Member

Good effort.

17. Vinny

Vinny Member

nice!

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

really good topic

18. aeon44

aeon44 Active Member

it seems i can't progress.
    i've already played 3 games with 1 win and 2 loses.
    my problem is i'm still on level and not leveling up, my records are still 0-0.
    is that normal?

19. Sven2k

Sven2k Moderator

Nice work [noparse];)[/noparse]

20. SpaceDonkey

SpaceDonkey Active Member

Oh wow! thanks i just got my Beta key today and invited a Non Dota friend this will be very helpful thanks!!