Coup d'etat in Turkey

Discussion in 'World News & Debates' started by Eutychius, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Eutychius

Eutychius Moderator

2. LyraH

LyraH Well-Known Member

Nice, it was only 18 hours ago that we had a world changing event.

2016 is crazy

3. Eli_Green

Eli_Green Well-Known Member

Interesting indeed. Especially given the geopoltical region.

4. Eutychius

Eutychius Moderator

Major update: The leader of the Turkish armed forces is allegedly among the hostages taken by the participants. It seems like an army uprising against the establishment.

5. DarkMessiah7

DarkMessiah7 Well-Known Member

Can we bomb them now ?

NATO should move in and feed them their own guts.

6. Eutychius

Eutychius Moderator

Easy there, the military hasn't instated a new government yet. They are supposedly fighting for human rights because of Erdogan. I can't blame them, even though a coup is far worse to damage democracy.

7. ToT712

ToT712 Well-Known Member

You're gonna bomb Turkey? Got bad news for ya.

8. Z01d

Z01d Well-Known Member

Considering that Erdogan and his crew are/were in power things can only get better.
    I would withhold judgment until we see out who exactly is in charge now and what their stances on things are.

It could be for the better like in Egypt.

9. DarkMessiah7

The Kurds would love it. Cyprus and the murifats too.

No one would cry if the roaches got wiped.

On a slightly more serious note... A country under military control shouldn't be allowed to exist near Europe.

10. Eutychius

Eutychius Moderator

We would rather not have volatility and instability in one of the most relevant countries in our geopolitical issues. Greece wouldn't want that either as far as I'm concerned.
    Unless we are talking nationalists here, in which case the Turkish army nutjobs could bear similar ideas which makes things even worse.

11. DarkMessiah7

My whole point is that the turkish generals are nutjobs. No one can predict what the hell they will try to do after taking control over their country.

Shouldn't someone be ready to counter them ? Nato is the best choice in this situation.

Considering Turkey is a member of NATO and took military action without even notifying any of "it's allies" they should be considered a dangerous force and danger to the world.

12. Eutychius

Eutychius Moderator

Most Turkish military commanders are hostages, according to several sources.

More like restore democracy first and foremost.

13. DarkMessiah7

IF the Turkish generals that are currently hostages die that means their subordinates (who probably commited the murders) will take their places.
    The situation is pretty serious and all i see is that the world waits to see what happens before acting.

Im not taking Americans for fools or anyone else , most likely everyone is ready for whatever might happen as a result if the Turkish government falls and the military indeed takes over , but there is no info on any reaction from any major military power in the area. Shouldn't AT LEAST people mobilize forces close to Turkey in case the new 'Chief' over there decides to do something stupid ?

14. Eutychius

Eutychius Moderator

15. Petique

Petique Well-Known Member

What the hell is even going on here? Please don't be another Syria Turkey, we have enough shit happening in the middle east already. I hope this will be a positive thing and it won't effect anyone. I especially worry for Cyprus. I really hope you will be okay. You know what happened when the greeks did a similar junta not too long ago... Don' want to be negative but... This is worrysome.

16. Eutychius

Eutychius Moderator

Relax, it's just gonna be one less Nazi mod around :cool1:

Jokes aside, this is a different case. It's definitely troublesome, but not worrisome. The thing mostly in danger right now is Turkish democracy and coup orchestrators will have to impose their power first before they even think outwards.

17. DarkMessiah7

Keep informing us

As far as i've seen for the past couple hours Cyprus get the news faster or gets more details.

18. Eutychius

Eutychius Moderator

Everything I post here can be found in the link I posted in the OP. It gets updated very quickly with relevant news.

On the more lighthearted side, among these news is Erdogan actually addressing the Turkish people via Skype on a smartphone on Turkish national television. That will sure give courage to the people, won't it?

19. Petique

Petique Well-Known Member

Erdogan has been denied asylom to Germany. It is unclear where is he atm, some rumors claim he is going to iran. The military has taken everything in istambul and ankara. This summer is anything but boring that i must admit.

20. ToT712

ToT712 Well-Known Member

Assad must be laughing his ass off now.

Man I really hope they turn the last 20 years of the middle east into a SOAP or something.