Best ranged hero?

Discussion in 'DotA Chat' started by hawkn, Dec 3, 2009.

1. hawkn

hawkn Member

Hi i'm really new to DotA. I bought warcraft for two reasons; my mom hate WoW and won't let me play it (too 'evil'), and because i heard how cool DotA is. I've played a few games on an AI map, and i played with some people online. My question is who is the best ranged character for me to use, and what items are good to use with him/her? I really like the game, but so far i'm getting my butt kicked. I've found i like ranged characters the best, so any help choosing one to practice with would be awesome.

2. supa_fly

supa_fly Well-Known Member

Moved to DotA Chat.

3. hawkn

hawkn Member

Ok thanks, i wasn't sure where to post it.

4. Cp6uja

Cp6uja Well-Known Member

First one that comes to my mind is Mirana.

By the way, there is no best hero, only best team-players.

5. K2SO4!Archangel

K2SO4!Archangel Well-Known Member

WoW is evil and wc3 (the game WoW is based from) is not?
    Lolwut?

6. hawkn

hawkn Member

Didn't have to ask permission to buy WC3.:p: Only 2 years till i move out...

Omg lol arch ur sig is awsome.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  7. iKrivetko

iKrivetko Well-Known Member

AGI: Nevermore, Lanaya, Morph.
    INT: Obsidian Destroyer, Dazzle, Leshrac
    STR: Wut, there's only one. Huskar.

imo.

8. The Other Guy

The Other Guy Well-Known Member

Sniper obviously.

9. Sup3RN0Va

Sup3RN0Va Well-Known Member

If you are new to DotA and want ranged heroes, start with Traxex or Sniper.

10. hawkn

hawkn Member

Ok i'll go try traxex and the sniper.

11. Ramodkk

Ramodkk Well-Known Member

I'd say Mirana

12. Ivanns

Ivanns Well-Known Member

IMO you should choose someone who is easy to farm with (kill creeps) and doesn't need a lot of micro to play with. IMO a good hero for you will be Vengeful Spirit. She has a stun, a farming skill, a team aura, and a swap which can be used to swap allies and enemies. Also swap can be used as an escape mechanism. I won't say that it is easy to know when to swap and when to not do it but with practice you will learn. For item build and basic strategy see guides for her. Hope you will get good soon, good luck!

13. de_end

de_end Well-Known Member

best hero to solo btm and get double kill? huskar
    best to be played by newbies? vs, stun and swap, no brainer
    best burst dmg early game? sf
    best skillset? potm, stun+nuke+escape
    best at auto-farming? jakiro
    best at taking out twr? leshrac/ss
    best at being gank fodder? sniper

15. 5chneemensch

5chneemensch Well-Known Member

Shendelzare Silkwood, the Vengeful Spirit is quite good for beginners

She has everything, a beginner needs

16. kvlc

kvlc Banned

VS is too evil.

17. Linism

Linism Well-Known Member

Err... by ranged heroes u mean DPS? Spellcasters are mostly ranged heroes too, technically.

Notable ranged heroes are Priestess of the Moon (Mirana), Shadow Fiend (Nevermore), Storm Spirit (Raijin), Bone Fletcher, Drow Ranger, and Sniper. I'm going to ignore the pure spellcasters in my list because I'm assuming that's not what you are looking for.

You should probably try them out using AI maps, and see which one u like.

18. Shadow-Seeker

Shadow-Seeker Well-Known Member

When you are new to the game, people usually end up getting harassed badly when they pick melee, and end up making fountain trips. I say go with a ranged hero with an escape mechanism that doesn't require any micro. Clinkz is easy to use imo. Being new to the game i suppose he plays em games where people don't carry dust.

19. SpiralAvenger

SpiralAvenger Well-Known Member

I agree. To build her, start of with either a bracer and tangoes of essification or... 3 ironwood branches and maybe slippers and tangoes if you're going for a magic stick. then farm up treads and go for stygian desolator. you're pretty much independent after that. she should be played as dps, she is built as a support hero and should be played as such. also, your ultimate is almost suicide (which okay if you get their carry) so you can expect to die many times and people cant tell you're new. maybe get a guinsoo or something afterwards or just place wards for your team. get magic missle first thing, then command aura, max your ultimate when you can, of course, and get wave of terror, then finish with stats. Also, you should go from lane to lane and gank alot if your team needs it.

20. DGAPwarrior

DGAPwarrior Well-Known Member

Just don't play evil heroes or your mom will forbid you to play in Dota too.