Are female heroes too sexualized?

Discussion in 'DotA Chat' started by little_gizka, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. little_gizka

little_gizka Well-Known Member

Hello all! Recently there was a thread on the feedback forums that brought up the sexualization of female DotA characters. (It was mainly about having pretty boys added to DotA, but that's a different discussion for a different time.)

The thread ended up getting closed because there are "hero model feedback sections," but those are all for specific heroes instead of heroes and their models in general. I'd like to discuss how the DotA 2 females are often over sexualized when it is unnecessary. The female character where it makes the most sense is Queen of Pain. Queen of Pain's sexual appeal is actually undermined by other female characters - making her less shocking and more "oh, another half-naked female character."

I'll list all the female humanoid heroes currently in DotA 2, and describe what I'm talking about:

All the humanoid females are currently attractive young women. The heroes above are also sexualized to some extent. A common theme some of these heroes share is what I have dubbed "push-up armor."

It makes sense for some of these heroes to be showing their bosoms off - Queen of Pain especially. But what about Vengeful Spirit, who happens to be the angry energy of a princess? What about Death Prophet? Shouldn't she be an ugly, old hag? "Templar" Assassin? Shouldn't she be modest? Many of these heroes have been sexualized for no relevant reason to their lore.

What I'd like to see more of:

These heroes are still attractive and young, but they are either covering their chest (Luna and PA) or have a relatively small chest (Enchantress and PA). PA is especially refreshing as not only is she completely covering her chest but she also has a small bosom.

The male humanoid heroes have much more variation. There are fat heroes, old heroes, butt-ugly heroes, etc.

I'd like to start a constructive discussion about this issue. What can Valve do with the upcoming female heroes to make them less sexualized and more interesting? I don't think Valve should change the existing female character models, but I would like to see more variety. Why can't a new character be an old lady? A middle aged lady? A Brienne of Tarth? Please, discuss this with me!

Important Terms:

sexualize (verb) to make sexual : endow with a sexual character or quality
    feminist (adjective) advocating social, political, legal, and economic rights for women equal to those of men.

A relevant video to watch if you're more interested in this topic.

Thank you!
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  2. Noxonius

Noxonius Banned

Valve lieks boobies
  3. Noxonius

Noxonius Banned

But seriously, who wouldn't
  4. OP is misogyn.
  5. little_gizka

Gotta say, I like them too. Makes the characters look a bit ridiculous, however.

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

Aww, why did you edit your post? I liked the first one much better.
  6. iDebo

iDebo Well-Known Member

Yes moar like Luna!
  7. Mizure

Mizure Banned

if people like that would put that much afford in their school homework we would
    have much less problems in this world.
  8. Aircross

Aircross Well-Known Member

The female heroes in Dota 2 are sexy in a classy way unlike LoL's female heroes who just look like sluts.

Queen of Pain's outfit is justified since she is a succubus who uses her looks to entice prey.
  9. little_gizka

I don't mean to be rude, but did you read my opening post?
  10. okrane

okrane Banned

video-game characters should be idealized. As you say yourself, there is a mix of everything in dota, not just turbo-bimbo-es. Plus, nothing is radical, cleavage is not a big deal in a video-game, especially when there are others doing the classic plate-bikini stuff.
    As you said, men are also exagerated.

I believe you are blowing this out of proportion, the design is nowhere near offensive or over the top imo.
  11. little_gizka

You'll need to elaborate on what you mean by that. I'm assuming you meant effort?

Also, I'm a college graduate and the above took me maybe 15-30 minutes to type. It really doesn't take much effort on my part to write out a coherent thought. I'm sorry it is difficult for you.
  12. brave_sir_robin

brave_sir_robin Well-Known Member

CM and Vengeful have normal boobs, I don't know what you are complaining about. Also both Vengeful and Drow are quite ugly and you can't see Drow cleavage while playing

BTW is this the woman you find extremely attractive?

13. kanzakill

kanzakill Well-Known Member

Indeed they are.

There should be more variety. Nothing extreme, just more variety.

Nope. Look at Half-Life and Portal.
  14. little_gizka

Oh, trust me, I completely agree that it's not nearly as bad as some videogames. I just want to see Valve continue the trend of making characters like Phantom Assassin. Who knows? Maybe in doing that they would attract more female players.

As it stands, there are no old female characters while there are some old male characters. While I don't really like HoN, I do love Wretched Hag.
  15. Mizure

Mizure Banned

you post, once again, bullshit. like that christ that complains about demonic/satanic symbols.

the real question is, you do that on purpose ?
    `or just trolling.
  16. sHOTTA

sHOTTA Well-Known Member

Get a girl mate...with boobies.:rofl:
  17. Ari~

Ari~ Banned

Needs more.
  18. kanzakill

kanzakill Well-Known Member

If only I could brofist with you over the Internet.
  19. Madness101

Madness101 Well-Known Member

Most ironic thing ever.
    DotA 2 only as cleverage to continue the Spirit of DotA.
    If it wasn't for that,only the Succubus(Queen of Pain) CLOULD be a fanservice Charater.
    And even then...
  20. little_gizka

That made me laugh. I personally think Drow and Vengeful are quite attractive. If you think she's ugly, I shudder to think how high your standards must be.

Also, take a look at Vengeful's character model. The page I linked you to really doesn't do her outfit justice. Also, I love CM, so I don't want to see her changed. I just think that the game has enough young, attractive females.

Exactly. Thank you.

As I said, if you don't like this thread, you don't have to participate in the discussion.

And please don't compare me to that guy. I brought up some good points if you care to read them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.