Apple Refuses Court Order because "Data Integrity"

Discussion in 'World News & Debates' started by Blarrg, Feb 17, 2016.

1. IHateLeavers

IHateLeavers Well-Known Member

Re: Apple Refuses Court Order because "Data Integr

Btw, If they really wanted to they could send this iphone back to Apple and ask them to extract all the data from it without giving away any backdoor info.

2. DrFrank_

DrFrank_ Well-Known Member

Re: Apple Refuses Court Order because "KFC Nuggets

I'm aware that the authorities have warrant for the phone, I was just pointing out that you don't "lose rights" when accused over a crime, and also that that I personally think it's not wrong for Apple to refuse to comply if it compromises privacy rights.

Yes, so if anyone could potentially break into the phone then why are they asking Apple to do it?

I'm not arguing whether or not the device is secure or that Apple shouldn't comply because it risks its security.

It's just that it seems to me that the FBI wants to sets precedence where it can take anyone's phone for any reason over to Apple and have them unlock/backdoor it.

Mr McAfee has offered to unlock the phone for the FBI but it doesn't seem that is what the FBI wants here. I could be wrong though.

3. TwoHourMotel

TwoHourMotel Well-Known Member

>2016
    >Thinking you have any right to privacy
    [​IMG]

4. HydraLord

HydraLord Well-Known Member

It depends on the case. If the object the police are trying to crack which in this case is the shooters' phones, directly related to the case then they're not violating any of your privacy rights. They violate it when they try to get info by getting it through methods unrelated to the case or by spying on you in your home etc, that's when privacy rules apply. You can't play the 'that's a violation of my privacy' card everywhere, it only works in certain cases.

5. DrFrank_

What does this have to do with my post though.

6. HydraLord

They're not really violating any privacy laws by asking for their phones to be cracked.

7. DrFrank_

And?

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

As I mentioned previously, I'm not saying that breaking open the phone would be an invasion of privacy if done legally, I'm saying that Apple doesn't want to set a precedent where FBI or the police or whatever could come up and have them circumvent the phone's encryption at will.

Whether or not you think the industry should be accede to the authorities' demands is another matter.

8. Blarrg

Blarrg Well-Known Member

Installation requires the digital signature of Apple, a form of private key encryption.

How could it possibly seem that way. Out of the thousands of crimes that happen where the FBI don't give a fuck about the criminals phone, suddenly the FBI wanting information from a terrorists phone is crossing the line?

9. HydraLord

I honestly don't see what's wrong with that. As long as it's only for legal cases, I'm completely fine with the FBI doing what they want. It's not like the FBI is going to start cracking everyone's phone after apple cooperates with them, it's just a means to an end.