About ready to get back into it

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by LostENT, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Beary

Beary Well-Known Member

hi
    [​IMG]
    I mean... meow
    :cat:

2. LostENT

LostENT Well-Known Member

Meow :cat:

3. Ninjerk

Ninjerk Well-Known Member

I haven't played a game in about a year (maybe a little more now). I should be getting my new mouse on Monday or Tuesday and then I'll probably start using DotA 2 as a reward for staying on task in my studies.

WRT to the post I quoted, I think you should spend some time trying to resolve your emotional investment in the game. Before you get back into it, try asking yourself some questions about why you allowed your mood to be so closely tied to factors (potentially) beyond your control. It's okay to be focused on the game and be slightly frustrated with losses, but in the big picture this is just too much of an emotional reaction for a video game (and I'm speaking from personal experience, too, so don't think I'm just judging you here).

4. MWaser

MWaser Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. Alex_bg

Alex_bg Well-Known Member

I last played a game with people in 2012. I seriously don't miss it. And I can't be bothered learning the models and skins and new items and shit all over again.

But even if I could be bothered the game is simply not worth it. I kept following on some updates a bit after I stopped playing and I honestly did not like the direction the game was going. Apart from the cancer that is the gaming community the game was simply designed to cater to competitive teams and forced casuals to play as such. That's pure bullshit and doesn't really work. What it did succeed in doing was create elitism in many people and take the fun out of the game.

You said you're trying to start up again. In your place I'd save myself the frustration.

6. minhogang

minhogang Well-Known Member

Just played 3 games, was moderately bored throughout. I guess I'm getting too old.

7. Life-Stealer

Life-Stealer Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that's just the game.

8. DMR_Chane

DMR_Chane Well-Known Member

It's balancing around competitive is one of the things that makes DotA great and worth playing. I seriously don't get why so many people that apparently hate this game post so regularly about it.

9. Nicolas_Cage

Nicolas_Cage Well-Known Member

This is PlayDota, where old people justify being burnt away from any fun in the world by saying the game is shit.

10. hankaung121

hankaung121 Well-Known Member

Welcome back m8. It's been such a long time.

11. Alex_bg

Alex_bg Well-Known Member

That is subjective, so it's your opinion versus mine. Although I have played semi-competitively and made money with the game I can say its charm is lost when I pick a hero I like and someone starts trying to boss me around telling me to be a ward whore, deliberately avoid farm and stay with boots+wand 30 minutes into the game. And I'm talking about low level pubs.

You are right about one thing - I have gotten too old for the game. But your assumption that people are burnt away from any fun in the world couldn't be more wrong. In fact (at least for me, I don't see why others would be different) we've found how much the world has to offer and how much time we've wasted on this game.
    But if you still enjoy it it is not my place to tell you to do anything else.

12. Madasahat

Madasahat Well-Known Member

DoTA 2 or any game for that matter is fun and you should play it if you want to as long as you don't prioritize it over important stuff like work, family and sleep. Making some money, no matter how small from playing it makes it less of a "waste", so streaming DotA 2 is actually a good idea.

Live your life and play any game your like, but try to balance it. Punish yourself by quitting if you ever put games above important aspects of your life. When you have the capability to press alt+f4 when you are 20/0 in middle of a ranked game because something important came up, you have successfully balanced your gaming life.

13. LostENT

Dota 2 is fun but balance is everything.

Not actually playing, just watching a live matches

steamcommunity.com/id/treblefinder

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  14. MWaser

MWaser Well-Known Member

Dota 2 agrees [​IMG]

15. hankaung121

hankaung121 Well-Known Member

16. LostENT

I opened the game, got fadunked with advertisements for new warhammer hats and chests, stared at and flipped through the skins for like 5 minutes, saw a pudge with a mouth on his belly, looked cool, fapped, closed the popups, opened a game to watch for like 20 seconds, someone type "Kill yourself" in viewer chat. Closed game. I'll try again another time.

17. Akhdas

Akhdas Well-Known Member

dota 2 is youtube now?

18. CAFO

CAFO Well-Known Member

But why?

19. Madasahat

Madasahat Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what gave you the idea to expect something different. :cat:

If anything DotA has become worse in recent months. Its a good time to not play DotA2.

20. Elpes21

Elpes21 Well-Known Member

I've been itching to jam a cactus up my anus and twist it really good with some bleach for lubricant, but getting back to Dota 2? Now that's fucking sick. Wish you well.