A PC for you to build under $300

Discussion in 'DotA Chat' started by Nokua, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Nokua

Nokua Well-Known Member

So I see many people asking if their PC can run DotA 2 in DotA chat. Of course the game is currently on beta and has not been optimized at all. By the time DotA 2 is officially launch I am pretty sure there would be lower settings for weaker comp and also ultra settings for better graphics.

If you guys are seeking to build a budget PC that can run the current DotA 2 beta at max with good fps, here is my suggestion.

I would like to start off with the processor:

AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE (In my opinion this is the best processor for the buck. It has 2 cores, and runs around 3.0-3.1 and can be easily overclocked to 3.8. The reason that this is one of the best processor is because there is a possibility to unlock the 2 other cores that has been disabled by AMD. If you purchase the right motherboard and have the right BIOS, you can easily unlock those core making this processor a Quad Core and you can still overclock it, thus making this processor worth the price of a high end one.)
    The cost is: $90, but I did some research around and you can find for $70. If you wish to have a cheaper processor than this, there are also other models, cheaper and good that can unlock into total of 3 cores or 4 cores but lower successful rate and can be unstable (research around).

Motherboard: I forgot the model, but most Asus motherboard, BioStar, GigaByte are known for good quality and also features, especially for overclocking. The good thing is that most of their motherboards models has the capability to unlock the cores. Motherboard can range from $30-120 (just buy the cheapest if you don't need all the features and check if it can unlock.)

Graphic Card: Now, this is the most important piece. There are various models around and here are my favorites so far: Radeon HD 6850, 6870, 6670, 6770, 6790, 6450, 6570, 5550.

The 6670 and 6770 ranges around from $60-120. All has 1 GB DDR3 or DDR5.
    The 6850 and 6870 are a bit higher end and can range from $120-190.
    The 6790 is a really good badass graphic ranging from $130-160.
    Finally a bit lower end, 6450, 6570, 5550 $35-80. Now, the 6450 can run Crysis 2 on high settings, 1280x720 at an average of 24.7 FPS. The 5550 same specs at 31.6 FPS. The 6570 at 1280x1024 can run at 41.2. Remember the higher the resolution, the lower FPS you will get. If you can run Crysis 2 on high setting at a good resolution, obviously you can run DotA 2 in high resolution with awesome FPS. Also you can overclock those graphic cards making it even better. I would suggest buying with the specs, 1GB and DDR5. Sapphire is the best brand (for me).

RAM: 8 GB DDR 3 1330 MHZ for 20 bucks.

HD: With the flooding in Thailand and scarce HD, I would suggest to use your old HD.

Case: Any cheap generic, not too cheap or else your PC can collapse.

PSU: This is important, buy a brand name with good review. There are always promotions online for PSU, so shop around. I found a CoolerMaster or Corsair for around $20.

So Total:
    MOBO (Motherboard): $40
    Processor: $70
    Graphic Card: $70 (If you got extra bucks to spend, buy a better one, for future games)
    Ram: $20
    Case: $20
    PSU: $20
    HD: Old HD
    Total: $240 Without tax. This is a rough estimate, you can either get it for cheaper or more expensive.

If you would like, buy extra cooler for better air flow in the PC and also get a aftermarket heat-sinker, they can make a difference.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  2. Xmarksthegank

Xmarksthegank Well-Known Member

You're from the US, majority of people around here - especially those who are having issues with their computer being not powerful enough - are not.

20$ PSU is a bomb no matter where you're living, 20$ case - well meh - RAM for 20$ is not possible around here.
  3. Madchen

Madchen Well-Known Member

Also, you can use your old case if MB fits in.
  4. Cyampagn

Cyampagn Well-Known Member

The 2nd reply is on the spot; here, for instance, those prices are at least 70% higher.

Example Tricubo - Sapphire Radeon Hd 6770 1gb Vapor-x Gddr5 - U$S 203,00 en MercadoLibre

Just saying, you might want to edit your title and clarify.

And some criticism on your thread, it's semi comprehensive and easy to follow, but it lacks some vital info, saying 'I dont remember the motherboard' is a bit lazy tbh :)
  5. Nokua

Nokua Well-Known Member

If you already have an old PC, everything can be recycles such as PSU, MotherBoard, RAM, HD, Case. Depending on your motherboard, you can upgrade your processor and also your graphic card.

If you shop online and depending on your country, you can always ask for international shipping, which can be worth it. Iv'e had friends from other countries that order online and get it shipped to them and still saves them a shit load of cash. As I said, do some research and shop around.
  6. Nokua

Nokua Well-Known Member

Wow, that is expensive. Can't you buy in Newegg and ask them ship it to you? I bet the customs fee aren't that expensive comparing to that website.
  7. ringbearer

ringbearer Well-Known Member

That is one cheap build. Rather spend some extra on a proper and decent Sandybridge CPU.
  8. Cyampagn

I should look into that, but, shipping from the US? Sounds like it will be more expensive, if these shops ship shitloads of cards and get to sell them at that pricetag, I can't imagine how much I would have to pay to ship only one.

But this post is all lacking a thorough knowledge of the subject, I'm just guessing.
  9. sarcastik21

sarcastik21 Member

nice...very helpfuly
  10. Nokua

Nokua Well-Known Member

I am not sure either. I know for a fact that in Brazil, if you buy something from outside your country for under $50, there is no customs fee etc and etc. So if you are able to find the graphic card under $50, maybe you pay no customs fee and tax. If you really want to buy things from outside your country and ship it to you, give it a quick research, might be worth it.
  11. Cyampagn

Ok, I will try :) fact is, I want a 570 GTX, and here it is like 570 (rofl) US$. So I'll check it out.
  12. estaffer

estaffer Well-Known Member

the price is definitely off on most regions but what matters are the parts mentioned.

just be careful with overclocking. it's a serious risk.
  13. Nokua

Nokua Well-Known Member

The Price can be off, but the price I have written down is based on all research I have made. I wanted to build a $300 gaming PC and did all the research. I found in some website with good prices. So price might off to some but I'd say most of it is accurate.

As in overclocking, yes it is risky especially for the processor. Find tutorials and see how they overclock. Remember, overclocking needs more energy, so you need a bigger W PSU for stable flow of energy. Also for overcloking, you need a good cooled area or else it will get hot. I would not suggest overclock as it is unnecessary, just get the cores unlocked. About the graphics card, you can overclock with stability. Before you do that, find the recommended overclock for it and instructions.
  14. Nokua

Nokua Well-Known Member

Ooh, the GTX 570 is a mean graphic card. Super strong and powerful. I guess here in US is around $350, not sure. It all depends on what you want to run and play. If you are only playing DotA 2, I guess the 570 GTX is not necessary. Check on your goal first and then decide what you want to buy around that goal.
  15. Cyampagn

My goal is BF3 on ultra :D currently using a Radeon 5770, handles it fine but only medium settings.
  16. Powse

Powse Member

Thanks for all the info, this might come in handy, I've recently spilled a whole mug of coffee and the keyboard stopped working + it's kinda old and rusty :)
  17. Slavechampion

Slavechampion Member

Thanks for making this thread, I am currently in the Beta but my PC does not run it well. In fact, it is so bad that I stick to WC3 dota.

But I'm a real noob with pc's. I have no idea what things like overclocking mean. And no idea how to build a PC myself. So I like your idea, but I think that people who actually know what all those things mean are able to figure their pc out on their own.
  18. thepom1k

thepom1k New Member

Thank for the info, really helped.
  19. Schmeiser

Schmeiser Well-Known Member

I wish we had your prices where i live :( God, pc equipment is so cheap in USA i wish i could import one but than i have to pay the custom(not sure of the spelling) fees and than it's basically the same shit
  20. HellsGuardian

HellsGuardian Well-Known Member

computer parts are a lot less-expensive in USA then in other countries... (uk and in asia at least)
    e.g u said 8gb ram for 20USD. Its 4-5 times expensive here in our local market

p.s would be even better if u give links to the sites that sell these components at such cheap rates... or is it only the local market at ur place?